Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
With U3-X Honda rethinks the concept of personal mobility, providing the rider with freedom of movement in any direction forward, backward, sideways and diagonally by simply leaning slightly in the desired direction. The lightweight and compact one-wheeled device also features a foldable seat and retractable footrests. A lithium-ion battery pack provides power for up to one-hour of use and can be recharged by plugging in to a conventional household or office 120-volt power outlet.

Weighing roughly 22 pounds, U3-X uses an advanced Honda proprietary balance-control system which derives from its research into human walking dynamics for the development of the ASIMO bi-pedal humanoid robot. To realize full freedom of movement in all directions, the U3-X also employs the worlds first omni-directional driving wheel system (Honda Omni Traction Drive System) which utilizes a series of concentrically mounted wheels a larger, forward and backward moving inner wheel and a series of smaller sideways moving outer wheels. Diagonal motion is achieved when both forward and sideways moving wheels operate in tandem.

In addition, the compact size and one-wheel-drive design of U3-X was intended to provide user-friendly and pedestrian-friendly operation with low-mounted foot pedals that make it easy for the rider to reach the ground, and a seat height that places the rider at approximately the same eye-level as other people.

S
S
Nice! But might struggle on the streets of San Pedro...

Very interesting and may herald a whole new day/way when the wheel system morphs into the car industry. Just the other day, I saw a video of a forklift that used a similar wheel concept and could move sideways. Very cool. Imagine parking your car!

In the meantime, I'd be interested to see how older overweight people make out on this Mobility Prototype. In this video, I'm seeing two extremely thin and very young women that are probably in their prime physical condition. Why would they need something like this in the first place? Disabled people probably wouldn't be able to use it and older people may have balance problems.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

So is this a one-wheeled Segway for people who would rather be sitting down?
Kinda strange as presented but I'll bet this technology will eventually find a very useful application (more than likely for something totally different).

That gizmo would work well for a lot of disabled folks that currently have cumbersome wheelchairs to navigate around in.

My mom was wheelchair bound and there's no way that she'd have been able to do this thing. Nor would anyone else that I know that uses a wheelchair. This is not to say that no one that uses a wheelchair would be able to use it, just that the people of my acquaintance would not be able to use it.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
Well, I think for the most part, this is a waste of money, except to help lazy skinny people become lazier people. As the former mom of a disabled child, this would have been workless. And as a current so of a disabled adult, this would be worthless. And as a former professional in the medical equipment business specializing in mobility, this would be worthless.
But, I'm happy to know that Honda has the resources to spend on development.... at least it's something.

Originally Posted by seashell
Very interesting and may herald a whole new day/way when the wheel system morphs into the car industry. Just the other day, I saw a video of a forklift that used a similar wheel concept and could move sideways. Very cool. Imagine parking your car!

In the meantime, I'd be interested to see how older overweight people make out on this Mobility Prototype. In this video, I'm seeing two extremely thin and very young women that are probably in their prime physical condition. Why would they need something like this in the first place? Disabled people probably wouldn't be able to use it and older people may have balance problems.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Its kinda like when I see informercials on all this excersise equipment? you see men and women all ready toned up / six pac abs etc and the viewer thinks gosh, i'll buy that machine and I'll have a body that looks like that. Ahhhhh the power of advertising!

"Be all that you can be"

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.