Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Mike Campbell #382836 06/09/10 11:43 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Drill everywhere seems to be a non-compromising all or nothing type position. Rig's contention that oil does not damage coral is ridiculous and cannot be supported.

OK Mike, where have I ever said that oil does not damage coral? For every one place where I have said oil does not damage coral, I will give you two places where I said it normally kills it. (including in this very forum when I replied to your Small Oil post)
Rig's stubborn attitude seems to reflect the same attitude as the human conflict that lead to the Gulf tragedy. He seems willing to twist anything to fit his view.

Don't talk to me about twisting things Mike. You have just stated that I said that oil doesn't damage coral.
Dont think of the impacts of one well think of the impact of 50 or more wells. It would seem inevitable that there be some problem probably based on human factor.
Well over sixty wells have already been drilled in Belize so far with very little environmental damage.

Last edited by Rigrat; 06/09/10 11:44 AM.
Rigrat #382837 06/09/10 04:29 PM
M
M
At last we agree that oil exposure in any amount damages coral, sometimes fatally but sometimes after many years a semblance of normality returns unless the pollution is too severe. The economic impact of that on our community would be devastating. We would not recover even though the coral might. I have been trying to make you understand that but either you dont understand or dont think its a good arguemnet.
The first diver that reports online that there is oil damage on the reef could easily hurt us badly. Right now we fight our govt for messing up our environment. Tourists are complaining over the change in water quality in front of San Pedro, Thats because of the dredging that has been allowed over the last several years. Now I am going to be able to point proudly to the oil well on the horizon and tell my guests that it used to be a world heritage site. There is really no pressing reason to drill offshore Belize but many reasons not too. Decisions get made without consultation and create problems. Thats why it has come to this. The biggest stake holder besides the reef side communities is the children of San Pedro and Belize who have never been consulted but it is they that will live with this long after we are dead. Of all the wells drilled only a few the last few could produce. If there were huge deposits of oil under Belize that will make us all rich I believe all the major companies including Shell who has drilled on North Ambergris Caye would have noticed it. Any deposits we have dont even rate on the world scale but you would risk our reef to get them. Its not the science that is flawed. For those that dont know cooking oil takes off tar from your feet. Why we would even consider this is a mystery. Not really.

Mike Campbell #382838 06/09/10 05:15 PM
P
P
So Mike, given that permits to drill have apparently already been sold and the money probably already either spent or otherwise appropriated, what do you in fact expect to happen?

Peter Jones #382839 06/09/10 05:47 PM
M
M
Evidently the fee was ten cents an acre. Actually I have about as much sympathy for them as I do for land speculators on A.C. Let them sue to get their pennies back. We could make the environmental hoops too hard to get through, not give seismology permits. cannt drill without seismology.
I am trying to come up with a plan for us that would address the land speculation here. Buying a piece of land gives you no right to build on it. I would think that buying an oil lease would not exempt one from the environmental laws regulating it even if they changed. Our govt seems adroit in side-stepping obligations. Biggest problem is my friend for 20 years Rodwell Williams is CEO of Princees and is Deans partner, law partner, as I am sure you know. Hope the will of the people is respected..

Mike Campbell #382840 06/09/10 07:28 PM
Mike, I know you always try and get your facts correct. I do not believe Rodwell Williams is CEO of Princess. Although I do understand the concern with the connection to Barrow and the goverment as he does represent them and I believe holds the position of secretary.
If I am correct and he is not CEO, portraying him as being in charge and benefiting directly is unfair until proven otherwise.

bywarren #382841 06/09/10 09:33 PM
M
M
Read that on line when he got shot, one of our Belize papers or some such. He is my friend although I rarely see him and I wish him all the best he has helped me when I needed it the most. He is also CEO of BEL. The oil connection is inappropriate to say the least. The info I read may not have been accurate regardless sec or ceo, not good situation. Hard times for all. Worst is it appears to be a hit of some kind and he has practiced criminal law very little in a long time. Belize has been the playground of biggish and big businessmen for a long time. Tons of money have been made from Belize but very little reinvested here. Its all very disturbing.

Mike Campbell #382842 06/09/10 09:35 PM
M
M
Unfortunately the Barrow & Williams law firm does directly profit even if they are only attorneys it is a big no no.

Rigrat #382843 06/09/10 11:58 PM
T
T

I guess I don't know, I just drill them... drilled many fishhook wells for Shell..all on a pad system, worked very nicely. Shell was happy as pig in shit.. still are... Deutag was the drilling company, malaysian drill crew and german TP etc..it was a good time by all, all successful wells, that I was on anyway..

"Shallow water Jack up rigs and swamp barge rigs for vertical hole drilling are cheaper than large horsepower onshore rigs that drill horizontal wells."

Vertical holes are cheaper anywhere, are they going to only drill vertical wells?

The type of land rigs I mentioned are more expensive than a swamp barge, can't figure why your so negative and derogatory on what I have said, I menitoned names that were around years ago, that was who I worked with mainly, anything wrong with that?
Would it be better if I said Anadarko or Maersk..or Talisman..Global Santa-fe what does that matter?
Crap man Total Fina Elf who I was with in Africa, changed From Total Fina Elf to Total Fina then just Total..

I wouldn't mind chatting to you off line, "threads" always seems to get out of hand..
You tinking I mamaguyin you man, where u from trini?

TheRealDeal #382844 06/10/10 07:02 AM
Sorry Mike, got to disagree. Being paid as an attorney to represent is not ethically or morally wrong.
Speculation of motives, especially politicians, is natural. Accusations without facts to substantiate is unfair.
Far be it from me to defend Belize politicians and attorneys as a group based on past experience. But I draw the line at accusing any one individual until the facts support that.
On a personal note, Mr. Williams is the attorney for the Belize Bank who I currently have a legal dispute with. I believe the bank's position is not only wrong legally but also morally, not that some banks necessarily have morals, but that, in my mind, does not make Mr. Williams an immoral person.

bywarren #382845 06/10/10 04:28 PM
M
M
I am not making comment on Rodwell's morals. He has represented me in court and has opposed me in court.It is highly improper for the PM's law firm to be representing anyone doing business with the govt. This is a practice that has been going on for a long time in Belize. You get the PM's law firm to represent you. It is wrong and should be against the law.They are a very prosperous firm, why do something that is questionable unless you stand to gain. Our circle with politicians lawyers and businessmen remains unbroken.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 92 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.