Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#38385 05/02/01 03:15 AM
It is frequently said that you will NOT get the best exchange rate at the banks. You get 2 to 1 anywhere else (hotels, restaurants, even the street vendors). Yes, you may get a few more cents on the dollar across the street from the Belize Bank -- but it really isn't necessary to have to do this.
The folks who love Belize KNOW that there are other places to travel to but for their own reasons have chosen THIS place.
Your opinion is accepted. Accept theirs...

#38386 05/02/01 03:36 AM
You know you don't have to bring those kind of words here on the message board... We have alot of kids read this board.. And am offended that you could type that.... Please edit your reply.. Thanks.... I did read your reply... And still thinking you should of done you research.. As far as that I will not reply to you no longer.. Take care and God bless you!!!!! Rick

#38387 05/02/01 03:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I don't always have the time to do the needed research. Some of my trips are spur of the moment, this one was booked two weeks before we left.

#38388 05/02/01 04:09 AM
????????????????????????????????????????

#38389 05/02/01 04:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
So, whats the question??

#38390 05/02/01 07:41 AM
hmmm....some folks just don't get it....oh well...life is good eh Rick? The locals would just smile and move on...sounds like a plan.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#38391 05/02/01 08:16 AM
M
M
Idaho - SURELY you have figured out this group by now!?

#38392 05/02/01 09:21 AM
Idaho???Isn't that where they grow POTATOES? I'm sitting here thinking "what's the big deal? You could have just brought US $$ and spent it and exchanged nothing!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out 2 to 1 C

#38393 05/02/01 10:42 AM
A
A
I hate to be confrontational, but I have to agree R&C. The exchange in money was virtually a "non issue" (just like sea grass). No, I did not go with travelers checks, but my cash was always accepted EVERYWHERE, and usually change was given in BZ. The local people have become very adept at exchanging money and are glad to do it.

As for the comment about being confronted by local "huslers", I have to tell you.....I never once felt threatened or uncomfortable by my environment. Honestly, I went there feeling that I would have to be more guarded than I ever had to be, even late at night. I was told that I was lovely and beautiful everyday by local men on the street, but it was never bothersome or offensive, it was a "hello beautiful" in passing. No one EVER pursued me to sell anything when I said a simple "no thank you". The "in you face" threatening behavior was exhibitited far more by rowdy soldiers and extremely intoxicated Americans.

If anything, I saw a lot of disrespectful behavior of tourists towards locals, be it aggressive behavior of soldiers towards local women (this got so bad one night they were kicked out of Fido's) or Americans being agitated over intermittent electricity on a few occasions (since when do you need electricity to enjoy a few drinks in balmy weather?).

As was mentioned before, this is not a country club resort and if you can't chill with the pace of things there, perhaps the island is not a place for you (I don't mean this in a hostile way at all). I know I'm simply repeating the general sentiment, but I regard Ambergris Caye as a very special, unique, warm, comfortable, happy island. My experience there was extremely positive and I can't wait to go again-- thank you Axeman for making my daydreams that much more colorful- I was right there again!

#38394 05/02/01 11:46 AM
D
D
On the exchange of money, ID do you trust what the bartender is pouring you?? well i was told that they will also exchange your greenery. seems to me if you're a spur of the moment kinda guy, you've learned to be resourceful and ask around. now don't get me going on this again; i've FINALLY had 80 degree weather, but guess what.. it's friggin snowing!!! anyone who knows me or has waded thru my seagrass (ty AC) and weather related posts, knows that snow doesn't make me a happy happy girl!! lol....so before i let loose, i'll leave this untouched.......

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.