//ambergriscaye.com/art/pdfs/LabourAmendmentBill2010.pdf (4mb download pdf)
The BCCI has just learnt that the Labour Amendment Bill will be tabled for its first reading (see attached) at the House of Representatives tomorrow 17th December. We had received assurances that the Bill will not be tabled this year. However, late this evening we received a copy of the Bill that will be tabled which we are currently analyzing.
One of the blatant inclusions is regarding the Notice Period Requirements on which we had not consulted. The changes are as follows:
· 2 weeks to 6 months continuous service - 3 days notice pay required
· 6 months to 1 year continuous service - 1 week notice pay required
· 1 to 2 years continuous service - 2 weeks notice pay required
· More than 2 years continuous service - 4 weeks notice pay required
· 1 day to 6 months continuous service - 1 week notice pay required
· 6 months to 2 years continuous service - 1 month notice pay required
· More than 2 years continuous service - 2 months notice pay required
The severance provisions have been confirmed at 5 to 10 years one week and 10 years and over two weeks, not retroactive and payment for public and bank holidays not including Christmas, Good Friday and Easter Monday is confirmed at 2 ˝ times regular pay rates.
The Chamber continues to review and will provide updates tomorrow. Please ensure that you take the time to read this bill as it will have great impact on all our businesses.
Kim Aikman (Mrs.)
Director Member Relations
Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry