Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
elbert #416455 09/17/11 05:39 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Not customizing the beach fronts ,I'm talking about one block in front of the school ,I assume it's town counsel land because of the school ,demarked with swimming bouys for the public use , not for private gain . The town needs a swimming area with water deep enough ,5 to 6 feet of water . You must see the need for that , why else would folks jump off the concrete bulkhead at Boca del Rio to swim in the channel and have to dodge the boat traffic ?

I have to say that along with Lara, I also have had many a discussion with tourists who feel the need to swim or snorkel way beyond the docks, sometimes even out in the boat lane. I have actually been asked, "Don't swimmers have right of way over the boats?"

I have nervously watched many folks swim way out further than they should, hoping and praying that they make it back safely. I have seen where boats barely miss them and actually turn around and warn them that they are playing with fire.

For some reason folks think they are invincible on vacation.

I should add that I certainly don't know the specifics of this accident. I am just stating that tourists swimming way too far out from the docks is a very common problem.

P
OP Offline
P
I agree some people are stupid , but we are missing the point .Tourist and locals swim out to get to a depth in the water that they can cool off , a depth of 5 to 6 feet. I'm suggesting a one block beach access where it would be safe for people could TO GO SWIMMING .That's all .Mark it off , dredge it out to a depth that folks don't have to go 300 yards out to get to water deep enough to cool off . The block in front of the school would be great for family and friends to meet and swim in safety with out boats buzzing in and out of that area . That's all .

I know its a bit off topic but if one were to dredge out an area on the reef side beach wouldn't it simply fill back fairly quickly and while its in the process of filling itself back in wouldnt the change in shore currents create erosion problems for the beaches and areas to the south?...from what little i've learned it seems the beaches on the reef side of the island don't seem to take too kindly to sudden unnatural conture and depth changes.

Last edited by Bear; 09/17/11 08:38 PM.
Bear #416465 09/17/11 08:42 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Bear
you could be right about dredging but I'm talking about one block and I'm not talking about any major depth just enough for a swimming experience in a controlled area . A swimming area is sorely needed in this area , and from what I see this area at the School would be a great asset to the town . The kids could gather there after school and families on the weekends .

C
C
Hey, I have an idea. Dig a hole, line it with concrete and fill with fresh filtered water. No boats allowed. Or------take a swim in the sea and stick to the dock areas or go out on a chartered snorkeling adventure. This is not the only place in the world where there are areas that swimmers need to avoid due to boat traffic. Education is the key.

catfish #416467 09/17/11 09:05 PM
P
OP Offline
P
So much for my bright ideas . Just thought something should be said about what seems to be an obvious need here in my home town .Kids swimming in the cut at the bridge BECAUSE it's the only water DEEP enough for them to cool off . Stop by sometime and watch the boats dodging the kids .

Originally Posted by PJBELIZE
So much for my bright ideas . Just thought something should be said about what seems to be an obvious need here in my home town .Kids swimming in the cut at the bridge BECAUSE it's the only water DEEP enough for them to cool off . Stop by sometime and watch the boats dodging the kids .

I thought you stated your case quite well PJ

Originally Posted by PJBELIZE

It's not a bad idea, but it has been tried before. A few years ago they tried to make a swimming area by the central park, next to cement dock, they worked for several weeks clearing the area and it only took a short while to fill in again.

I have seen visitors swimming way out into the boat lanes, I feel that all hotels and resorts should make all their guests know that swimming out past the ends of the dock is a no no. and signs should be placed on every dock warning of the dangers of swimming out too far. Visitors do not know about the boat traffic, and it is so tempting to go off for a swim in what seems to be shallow water.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
S
S
The town dreded a large area by the High School for family swimming. It's in use all week long and crowded on weekends. As far as the cut goes people choose to go there even when there are other places available...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.