Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jigzmom Offline OP
OP Offline
(Another question. Be warned: as our departure date nears (Jan.28), questions will get more numerous and, quite possibly, more frantic. grin)

We will be arriving on island late in the day on a Saturday, probably close to 6pm. Will there be any places open where we can pick up a few snacks and staples? If not, are any shops open on Sunday where we can do this?

I've looked into provisioning but they have a minimum order amount that I don't believe we'll need. I'm just looking to get some breakfast items, drinks and snacks, as we will enjoy lunches and dinners out. Our resort offers breakfast but my husband plans to schedule morning dives and, in the past, has had to leave for the dive shop before breakfast is served.

Thanks!

Most every store, restaurant, etc. will be open both on Saturday and Sunday. Very few places close on the weekends. You should have no trouble.

Change your Latitude
Jigzmom, you may want to take a look at Provisioning again. Really worth it when you arrive in the evening like that. By time you get settled and checked in it could be as late as 7p or so. Nothing like a refrigerator full of soda, water, beer, wine..Plus snack items....It's pretty easy to get to the minimum delivery if you purchase by the case. Particularly if you are traveling with kids/teens.....Even when it's just the two of us we use Lagniappe; then once we are settled it's all about relaxing on the balcony or pier.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
jigzmom Offline OP
OP Offline
You're probably right, Judyann. It's just me and hubby so I didn't think we would get anywhere near the required minimum purchase with the few things we need. But it's worth another look as I'd really rather not spend our vacation time running around to the various shops for groceries. Thanks!

If you dont provision Jigz, you can have your taxi driver stop at Marina's on the way down. Personally I love that little place. She's open late and its usually rather street lively in the area at about that time of night. Has all the basics for that first evening and morning. Oh yeah one other hint, if youre doing a golf cart get a few of those inexpensive poncho's from a dollar store in the event you end up with wet raods. Cart are notorious mud slingers and there is no seat on a cart that is immune from splatter...

jigzmom Offline OP
OP Offline
Oooh, good hint Bear! We will get some cheapie ponchos. We've been told by Pelican Reef that a van will pick us up from the airport. Don't know if it is a PRV-dedicated van or not (there is a charge for it). If we decide not to provision, should we grab a cab instead and stop at Marina's? Can't imagine a van driver will stop if he/she has a van full of people.

As an avid golfer, I love that golf carts are used for transportation!! laugh

Usually the van is dedicated to your party but work that out with PRR to see if youre sharing, in fact tell them you'd like to stop. My experience has been that drivers are more than willing to stop at a store unless they have some other fare etc; it's appropriate to give them a few bucks more in gratuity at for that convenience.

R
R
Bear is correct and that is a quite normal request. It is done all the time. People here as a whole are very friendly and helpful. If you have never been here before I can understand some of your concerns but I promise you they are 99% for naught.

There aren't a lot of rules and as long as you are somewhat reasonable everything will be just fine. If there are others on board they probably would like to make a stop also. Just ask them if it is OK and if they would like something in the market. Just enjoy yourselves it will all be fine.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,036
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.