Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#427753 01/13/12 10:51 PM
D
dawg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We have been to Mexico several times and it is expected to bargain. How about in San Pedro? 70 sleeps to go. Dawg

The harder I work the luckier I get.
It's just not the same. Be calm, you'll see.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I think Seashell is trying to prepare you for the fact that you have to beg them to take your money...provided you can convince them to sell to you. I had to stand out on the beach with a placard "Beach Vendor wanted" for over two hours before I could get one to take pity on me and offer me a necklace for 50$US...truly not the same! wink

K
K
I love "bargaining" with the bracelet/refrigerator magnet kids. "Hey Mister". I lose every time, and buy what I don't need, and pay more than I should. I know there's a school of thought that says they're being used by elders, but I've had some interesting conversations, and made some good little friends.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Originally Posted by krehfish
I love "bargaining" with the bracelet/refrigerator magnet kids. "Hey Mister". I lose every time, and buy what I don't need, and pay more than I should. I know there's a school of thought that says they're being used by elders, but I've had some interesting conversations, and made some good little friends.

[Linked Image]

I think bear & seashell both right -- of course I'm talking mainland though which IS different than the Cayes. It is nothing like Mexico or other places around here. You have to play everything by ear. Some peeps act like they doing YOU a favor or sell you some cheap crap for gold prices. Some peeps and mostly higher end stores will not bargin at all. for the most part I bargin and barter. And if peeps don't like it, well, i don't HAVE to buy and they don't HAVE to sell. I can always find want I want for good price or even free fa me. What I don't like the most is when vendors act indigant if you daan wanna give them some stupid price and they'll try and place a "ugly Gringo" card on ya. Watch out for some few vendors try and play ya as tourista. Be fair to yourself and them and you'll be fine. but don't help inflate prices when peeps try to fleece ya.. Mi dos pesos worth...

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

The kids who sell jewelry can be adorable. Please make sure that if you buy from them, you do so responsibly. If they are selling during school hours or at a time which is not appropriate for their age to be out on the streets or if they have no adult supervision, think twice. You may be supporting child exploitation.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Originally Posted by Bear
I think Seashell is trying to prepare you for the fact that you have to beg them to take your money...provided you can convince them to sell to you. I had to stand out on the beach with a placard "Beach Vendor wanted" for over two hours before I could get one to take pity on me and offer me a necklace for 50$US...truly not the same! wink

You definitely won't have that problem in San Pedro.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Originally Posted by BeBelize
Originally Posted by Bear

You definitely won't have that problem in San Pedro.

Ya think? wink

lol! all in all I find the vendors pretty mellow...

T
T
I am with Colly,buy from kids that are in school.It is mellow here unlike Mexico,just be polite and say no thank you and you should not be bothered.
See ya soon,great post

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 180 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.