Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello Belize, I am coming in for a vacation March 25th (from Northern California) and am hoping I can get some information on spearfishing while I am there. I know I need to get a fishing license from Belize, and spearguns are legal (NO SCUBA Spearfishing) but I'm a little confused if its legal and/or where I can hook up with other fellow spearfishers. I'm not gunning for anything huge, I just don't fish from a pole. I am an avid Red Abalone hunter and spearfisher. Can anyone assist me or point in me in the right place? Thank you in advance!

We're all a little confused also :-)
Lionfish invasion has relaxed the rules a little. Divers are carrying spear guns nowadays and killing as many as possible while on dives.
We have specially designed small guns for that special purpose.
In theory tourist snorkellers should not be shooting fish however no one seems to enforce the rule and you'll find operators that send tourist out for the purpose of spearfishing on the reef.
You can purchase a spear gun at Captain Sharks Supply but if you bring one with you your probably get nabbed at the airport.
Your sure to find tour guides that will take you and some Hotel/Resort front desks will book you on a spearfishing trip.
Spearfishing is a sport and regulated in some countrys, sadly not here.
I personally would like to see the ban on shooting tourist with spearguns lifted.:-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Elebrt is there a source for those little LF spears on the island, you know the Fools ones?

K
K
is there a "ban on shooting tourist with speargun"? Sorry, but I found that funny.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
NorCal Hunter #430931 02/20/12 04:30 PM
R
R
PM sent

Originally Posted by Bear
Elebrt is there a source for those little LF spears on the island, you know the Fools ones?

Captain Sharks

White Sands Dive Shop
Originally Posted by krehfish
is there a "ban on shooting tourist with speargun"? Sorry, but I found that funny.

I have mixed emotions about tourist with spear guns, its a legitimate sport and I'm sure some serious guys in it, i wouldn't want to be negative towards them, but imagine giving the tourist population spearguns and letting them loose on the reef. They shoot the slow colourful stuff and then miss and destroy coral if they don't miss and shoot another tourist, just a sick nightmare.
If it where regulated and enforcible it could be great to have it here but that's the problem, nothing is regulated and enforcible around here that I've noticed.

White Sands Dive Shop

S
S
...imagine giving the local population spearguns and letting them loose on the reef. Oh, wait...

...imagine giving the local population spearguns and letting them loose on the reef. Oh, wait..
....well if they'd hit the Lionfish con gusto that'd be a population I'd relish seeing decimated...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.