Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Guat President Proposes Drug Decriminalization At Summit; Belize Says...?

Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington has returned from Central American Drug Summit which was held in Antigua, Guatemala.

The meeting is making world news tonight because Guatemala's President Otto Perez Molina proposed legalizing and regulating drug and the drug trade.

His proposal would see the regulation of the trans-shipment of drugs - creating a regional corridor for the transport of drugs and establishing border controls for the proper registry of the movement of drugs.

He also proposes the legalization of the consumption of drugs with all necessary.

And while it may seem radical, proponents argue that it is the only rational response to curtail illicit trafficking activity which has taken over a portion of Guatemala's north-eastern Peten and has taken thousands of lives throughout Mexico.

So what position did Belize's Foreign Minster take? We discussed that with him today at his Belize City Office:

Hon. Wilfred Elrington - Minister of Foreign Affairs
"Yeah, it was a somewhat surprising to think that the newly elected president of Guatemala would have brought it on so quickly. I don't think anybody expected that. The United States regards the whole question of drug trafficking as a national security treat, a treat to their national security, and that no useful discussion could really be taken by the countries of the region, on this subject without the presence of the United States."

Jules Vasquez
"Might we not say that President Molina was bold and perhaps prescient in his thinking and that those among the group how were caution are simply kowtowing to the United States?"

Hon. Wilfred Elrington
"President Otto Perez Molina was bold. In terms of prescient I don't necessarily agree with you, that's because it is my own view that happens around the world, that really and truly, it is really these super powers that set the agenda and the pace for the rest of the world. So if they see this as a national security treat, and they genuinely believe that, nothing that we do in this region outside of the collaboration with them, stands any chance of succeeding because they are so powerful and so dominant. Therefore, if we are thinking so seriously about solving the problem, the solution will have to be, to my mind, one which is arrived at in collaboration with them."

Jules Vasquez
"Would you say the proposal has picked up traction or that it has not?"

Hon. Wilfred Elrington
"I don't think that it is a proposal that can rarely gain traction, in the absence of the United States being around the table, because as I'm saying we are peripheral actors, we are not principal actors. This is a major issue that concerns the security interest of the super power in the world, not only the region but the world. And how can you discuss a matter that affects the national security interest of the world's super power, without having that super power at the table?"

Jules Vasquez
"Yes, but we are not slave states. The super power is bankrupt and ineffective in its effort to try and stem either the demand for drugs or effectively reduce the supply."

Hon. Wilfred Elrington
"I never agree with the view that the super power is ineffective and bankrupt."

Jules Vasquez
"Well, we will have to judge by the results, Minister"

Hon. Wilfred Elrington
"I will never ever make that statement and concur with that statement at all."

Officially, the meeting failed to arrive at a consensus. Notably, the Presidents of Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua did not attend. Only Panama's President, Ricardo Martinelli and Costa Rica's President Laura Chinchilla attended.

The so-called "northern triangle" of the Central American isthmus, comprising, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize and Honduras form what is considered the most violent region on earth.

And so, the subject of drug decriminalization isn't going away, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has put it on the agenda for discussion at next month's Summit of the Americas.

Channel 7

Guatemala President proposes to legalize drugs and shipment route

Otto Perez Molina

With escalating violence in the region, decriminalizing the transportation of drugs heading to the US has become a hot topic. The idea was first broached by the Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina. He has been lobbying for support because he believes that in the war on drugs, US assistance has not reduced the drug trade or trafficking. As we reported, last week Saturday, Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington and Minister of National Security John Saldivar attended a meeting in Antigua, Guatemala. Elrington explains that the president of Costa Rica wants the region to be paid for the confiscation of drugs. But is Perez Molina's proposal gaining ground? Elrington says Perez Molina's plan has four proposals.

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington

"These proposals dealt essentially with the issue of the decriminalizing drug trafficking. The meeting was preceded by discussions or papers dealing with drug trafficking and the decriminalization thereof and these papers were presented by an ex-President of Colombia and an ex-Secretary General of the OAS, Mister Cesar Gavira. Another was from PAHO, an expert and another from the Carter Center. And all these people spoke on the issue of the decriminalization on the consumption of drugs-not necessarily drug trafficking but the consumption. President Perez Molina then presented four proposal and these proposals related to one; a frontal attack on trafficking as is being done in Mexico, two; the creation of a regional court with regional jurisdiction to deal with high profile crimes in the region such as narco-trafficking, money laundering, trafficking in weapons; three, the issue of the decriminalization and regulation of the transshipment of drugs. This entails designing and creating a corridor for the transport of drugs and establishing border controls for the proper registry for the movement of drugs, creating a regional agency for the control and management and the shipment of drugs. And four, the issue of the legalization of the consumption of drugs with all necessary legislation put into place; taking into consideration the production, consumption and transshipment. A supervising agency will be created to oversee all logistics. So it is really major matters he wanted to discuss. President Chinchilla of Costa Rica, who was present, proposed that United States and major drug consuming nations be asked to pay the region a certain quota for every kilo of drugs confiscated as a direct contribution to the fight. As I indicated to you earlier, we had certainly made the observation that it's drug trafficking and it is really seen as a national security interest for the United States so that they would not be in favor of these proposals and we did not think that in fact any fruitful discussion of these issues could take place in the absence of a representative from the United States."

Channel 5

Foreign Minister says U.S. must have a say in drug situation

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington

Elrington says that the discussion caught most country representatives off-guard and that the situation was somewhat confusing as some representatives thought it might have been a Central American Integration System (SICA) meeting. But how does Belize fit in? Elrington's response was that the meeting should not be held without the United States which considers drug trafficking as a national security issue.

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs

"Really and truly there was some confusion. It seemed to have been an initiative on the part of the Guatemalan president, Otto Perez Molina. It was an idea that he had to discuss the question of the decriminalization of drug trafficking and drug consumption it seems in the region. This was an unusual type of meeting because we hadn't gotten any advance information as to precisely what would have been discussed. It was not until we got there and the meeting started that he articulated the four points that he had in mind-matters involving drug trafficking and the like. and the use to which the resources that would be put from the proceeds of regulated sales of drugs; it seems to me."

Jose Sanchez

"Why would we need a court if it would be decriminalized? What was your impression, what was your reaction to hearing the proposal?"

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington

"I think most people were a little surprised and taken a back. It really should have been; it was not clear. Normally when we meet, we meet as a SICA group and a SICA meeting. The Secretary General of SICA who was present declared almost when he got up to speak that it really wasn't a SICA meeting also. The Nicaraguan Representative who was there, I think he was a vice-minister, he wanted to know what really was it-what kind of meeting it was. But we did not articulate that publically. So it was a little confusing. It was intended to be a summit of all the presidents and Prime Ministers of the SICA region, [but] it turned out that only the Panamanian president and the Costa Rican president turned up along with the Guatemalan president."

Jose Sanchez

"Did anyone agree with Guatemalan President?"

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington

"No. actually as I said, it took most people by surprise and people expressed views on the matter. When it was our turn to speak on it, I said that the trafficking of drugs in this region, as far as we are aware, is regarded as a national security interest for the United States and that the United States would see it as inimical to their interest to have any of the counties in this region think about decriminalizing drug trafficking and the use of drugs. And given their power and dominance in the region, it would not be helpful for us in the region to be discussing it without in fact the presence of the United States. You can't realistically discuss it and expect to come to any conclusion if in fact you did not have the United States at the table because of course they control what happens in the region."

Jose Sanchez

"But what would be our country's viewpoint? To me it sounds like something that would go against our constitution, our justice system would consider to be criminal."

Wilfred 'Sedi' Elrington

"This as I said, we did not get any brief from the Guatemalan or SICA as to precisely what they would have been discussing. And it is not a matter that the Belize government has discussed and taken a position on. I do know that late last year, Minister Singh had raised the thought of certainly not prosecuting people found with small quantities and there are some countries in the world that in fact allow the sale of marijuana for medicinal purposes."

Aside from Guatemala and Costa Rica, the only other president present was from Panama.

Channel 5

U.S. Under Secretary responds to Guatemala Drug Proposal

The Under Secretary of State Maria Otero is the highest ranking U.S. diplomat to visit Belize in recent times. Otero is responsible for foreign relations on civilian security issues; including democracy, human rights, trafficking in persons and counter-narcotics. Since Otero arrived on Wednesday, she has been meeting with Non-governmental organizations and government officials to discuss a myriad of issues. Earlier today, News Five asked Otero what were her impressions of Guatemala's President Otto Perez Molina's regional meeting with leaders during which he sought to decriminalize drug consumption and establish a legal route for narco-trafficking.

Maria Otero, Under Secretary of State

Maria Otero

"Our sense of that meeting and certainly our own position which continues to be the position that we have held; is a position that does not believe that decriminalizing drugs is the proper approach to dealing with it. This is the position the United States has held and will continue to hold. We don't believe that that is really the way to be able to address this issue. We note also that the countries in Central America agreed with that decision-they also questioned whether decriminalizing is the approach that we can take to this issue. Clearly as we are trying to address the threat that drug trafficking presents for the societies in Central America and certainly globally, we look at the role they are playing; it's useful to have a debate, a discussion, on all possible alternatives for dealing with the issue. So certainly being able to discuss this topic is something that we welcome, but our position continues to be the one that we have held since the beginning. My visit represents the priority that President Obama and Secretary Clinton have for our bilateral relationship and partnership with Belize. Suring my visit I have had the opportunity to meet leaders, officials, to reaffirm our close partnership with the Belizean people. I have been impressed by the caliber of so many of your dedicated public officials working hard in ministries, hand in hand with the members of civil society to tackle some of the most difficult challenges facing Belize today-from corruption and gang violence to creating economic opportunity for all the members of the Belizean society. The United States is pleased that Prime Minister Barrow ahs prioritized these issues for the second term of his administration and we look forward to working together to tackles these complex challenges with concrete advancement and resource. Our nations share common aspirations and common challenges including transnational organized crime, drug trafficking."

Channel 5

POLL: Should the government legalize marijuana in Belize?
Please visit the site to participate in this poll.

Sedi second take on decriminalizing transportation of drugs

A regional security conference was held recently in Antigua, Guatemala. It was widely reported in the international press because the president of Guatemala is proposing to decriminalize the transportation of drugs through Central America. It is part of an unusual plan to combat the large scale escalation of violence that has resulted from drug trafficking. Wilfred Elrington, the foreign Minister, who was at the conference, has already made initial statements on the topic. He wants the US and the UK involved in the debate but today he says that he is more concerned about health than on the criminality of the issue.

Wilfred "Sedi" Elrington

"The country of Belize has basically taken the position as articulated by the British, the Americans and all our major allies that this is an issue that is inimical to a national security interest and that in fact we should treat it as criminal offense and that is the position which we have taken all along. There have been individuals who have had different positions. I personally have long thought that really it's a health issue, not so much a criminal issue. 01:08:48 I know people who smoke marijuana every day of their lives who are smarter than I am, who are more competent than I am, who physically seem to be better equipped than I am. I don't see any harm being done to them at all, at all, at all and they don't behave bad in any way."

Marleni Cuellar

Wilfred "Sedi" Elrington

"Do you feel that it should be decriminalized?"

Wilfred "Sedi" Elrington

"I think we should engage in the debate. I certainly don't think that persons who are found with a little bit of marijuana should be incarcerated. I don't think so at all. I don't think you’re helping them, as a matter of fact I think you’re harming the society. A little man who you find with one stick of marijuana, you will lock up. You leave a wife there, you leave five kids there, and nobody to provide for them. How can that make sense? Who is he harming by having a little stick of marijuana? Especially in a place like Belize. I think we have to think these things through. Now I could be wholly wrong but that is my view. The important thing is though I think that we in Belize should start the debate and I think that's the point that the Guatemalan president was making. We in Central America need to start the debate because what is good for the United States isn't necessarily good for us. What the Belize position is as far as I know is that we are prepared to discuss these issues with the region and with a representative of the United States or the United Kingdom, the super power in the region because I believe that really and truly it is sterile to discuss it in their absence because in final analysis you will only move forward with their concurrence. And to be truthful, the position of Barrack Obama seems to be changing somewhat. He's no longer articulating the expression "war against drugs" and they are trying to move more towards the area of seeing it as a health problem."

And in respect of the slew of election petitions, Elrington says that it's a good move since voters need to think before they put their X on the ballot.

Channel 5

Very few people are aware that in 2001 Portugal became the first country ever to decriminalize possession of all drugs for personal use, including Coke, Weed, Meth, Heroine etc

If caught with any drug instead of going to prison you are offered help and go before a panel however if you refuse you are not subject to any punishment.

The results of this was that Portugals drug use rate dropped as did HIV infections from shared needles however treatment doubled but that was free and provided by the money saved.

Portugals move to decriminalize all drugs has been considered a resounding success.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

You cant argue with what has proven to work against the current situation which obviously is not working.

Gaz

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 04/07/12 06:36 AM.
Very interesting Gaz.

I agree. I'd like to think Portugal could be representative of the US but somehow...

I am really tripped out by the proposal to decrim drug transport (which I think is the big one here)...I think that is going to stir up a shitstorm for the foreign ministers of the countries even considering this. I am not saying the assessments of effectiveness are wrong but I dont think Uncle Sammy is going to be, or is, overly pleased with Guatemala at the moment, nor are they, or will they be with other countries that are awakening to the idea...

This is definitely one worth following.

Fruit of the poisonous tree

Dear Editor,

"The legal doctrine of 'fruit of the poisonous tree' is fairly basic in its premise: if the information being used in a case was obtained through illegal means, then any other information gathered via that illegal action is also tainted by the poison from the initial illegal action."

Case in point-the laws against cannabis.

The very first item in making cannabis illegal is in the scheduling of cannabis as a Schedule One substance. As a Schedule One substance by definition it has no medical use and a high potential for abuse. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH, and most everybody, including most every politician, knows it.

I enter into evidence page 17 of the May 20, 2012 Amandala story, "Marijuana relieves muscles tightness, pain of multiple sclerosis: Study". This is just one of hundreds maybe even thousands of recent studies showing some of cannabis' therapeutic uses.

Cannabis has and still is planet earth's most widely used bush medicine for over 10,000 years in most every culture. When the truth is sought, even one of the USA's DEA's top administrative law judges, Francis Young, declared in a 1989 case in his finding of facts, "that marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man."

Maybe the laws remain because large pharmaceutical manufacturers donate millions of dollars into the USA's body politic. Why would they do that? Because cannabis has been so widely used for so many different ailments that it could safely replace such a wide variety of their products that they would lose billions of dollars annually, because you can grow it for free in your garden and they cannot patent it.

You want to reduce crime and the cost and manpower of the legal system. Get rid of the illegal draconian cannabis laws and you will have over 50,000 less criminals in Belize.

I rest my case, for now. In the future I will show that the cannabis laws violate every constitutionally guaranteed civil right of the Belize Constitution, which declares that it is the highest law of the land, and that any law which violates it is invalid.

What if all violent criminals were to turn themselves in to the authorities tomorrow? It would be a great day for Belize. What if all cannabis users were to turn themselves in to authorities tomorrow? Use your imagination.

William Conde

Amandala

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.