Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
R
rtee
rtee
R

I can see the reasons why folks would vote for it - to empty out the jail cells and free up the court system, but I think small crimes lead to bigger crimes and as with any rule they can be bent and twisted and manipulated.

I definitely think that we have much more important things to concentrate on including improving the judicial system's conviction rates and curbing the violence and gang culture that is spilling over into general society. [/quote]

Spoken like a true bible thumping abstainer.
Do you drink?
Alcohol kills more people that all other drugs together.
The first part of your brain affected is decision-making, a couple of shots and people lose all inhibitions.
How many of you had your first sex, joint or snort when drunk, alcohol's the true gateway drug.
Even crack-heads are predictable, drunks are the most irrational and violent bunch of trouble-makers anywhere, period.
If there are "more important things to do" then decriminalize it and let the courts, jails, police deal with these "more important things".

Pretty good example of someone unable to present their opinions and views on their merits without having to resort to personal attacks on people with opposing views. Pointing out the dangers and problems associated with one substance does not make the argument for legalizing another. It actually has the opposite effect. Bet he is a mean drunk, pot head, junkie or whatever. smirk

R
rtee
rtee
R
Yah,
Bible thumper, how disgusting.
Mean pot-heads, a big problem, hang em all!

Ideas and Opinions - Decriminalize Marijuana II

It is usually a good idea when you are going to consider a subject like this one to start with the status quo.
The Status Quo

Government decided that a list of drugs are prohibited and it is a crime to have them in your possession. Its decision is based on the fact that these drugs are considered to be harmful. Marijuana is on this list.
Despite this prohibition, the marijuana drug trade is thriving and, it is becoming more profitable for those who are engaged in it. In spite of the rising cost and the risk of going to jail, people continue to buy it, to their own destruction.
It is estimated that about 15% of our population smoke marijuana. That is 40,000 citizens. It seems to be the drug of choice for most users of prohibited drugs. We should know the number of marijuana users. We should know how it is dispersed according to age groups. We should know on the average what each group spends per annum to satisfy their habits. This should be public knowledge. Who should provide it? Perhaps NDACC.
I have to generalize because, the exact figure is not known but, a significant number of our young citizens are sent to jail each year for the possession of marijuana. They are users, not sellers. They take their own money to buy a substance which will do them harm. For that act, should a wise and concerned government make them criminals for life?
The figure is not known what is the total cost per annum of incarcerating marijuana users. But, the annual cost per inmate at Kolbe prison is $7,000.
We have amongst us, a religious sect called Rastafarians, who use marijuana in their religious rites. Does their Freedom of Religion right give them special privilege? If not, why not? They are peaceful and productive citizens, who have a right to their faith. No one has the right to judge another person’s faith because it seems strange to him. Yet, the law should be obeyed. All laws should be obeyed, even if they are bad laws. It is part of the Social Contract.
The Proposal
A few moths ago there was a proposal in this newspaper, that the possession of a small quantity of marijuana should be a minor, instead of a criminal, offense. Reasons were put forward in support of the proposal.
Since then a Committee has been set up under the chairmanship of Mr. Doug Singh, former Minister of National Security, to gather the positions and views of all sectors of the society on the proposal, to submit to government.
Since the establishment of the Committee, I have seen and heard the views and positions of the National Drug Abuse Control Council (NDACC), the Amandala columnist “Right to the Point” and the Editor of the Reporter. I would like to comment on the aforementioned opinions and state my position.

The NDACC
The National Drug Abuse Control Council reiterates its strong position against marijuana because of its harmful effects, which are catalogued. It is consistent in its condemnation of marijuana, as it is of all prohibited drugs, which is its raison d’etre. The job of the NDACC is to make our citizenry keenly aware of the prohibited drugs’ harmful effects. I think it is the duty of the NDACC also, to make us aware of the harmful effects of the abuse of legal drugs, such as alcohol. Let me point out that there are more accidents involving persons who are under the influence of alcohol than any other drug.
All right thinking citizens are glad that there is an NDACC. It has a very important function. That is to reduce the consumption of harmful drugs, whether legal or not. We would like it to succeed in its efforts. Has it been successful? If the use of harmful drugs is increasing, in spite of the fact that there is a law criminalizing them, it would be fair to say that the NDACC is failing. Not a pleasant prospect.
NDACC has a very laudable objective. I take it that it is well financed and, that it has a well trained and committed staff. They should be doing better.
The NDACC thinks that if marijuana use were decriminalized, it would encourage young people who do not now use it, to begin. There is no logic in that view. It is saying that they do not now use it because of their fear of going to jail but, wouldn’t mind paying a fine or performing community service. What if the community service was to clean drains?
If you notice, only a certain class of people go to jail for possession of small quantities of marijuana for personal use. Do you suppose that only that class use it?
There must be a way for us to discourage the use of drugs which have harmful effects. That is the NDACC’s mission. They have to try harder.
Right to the Point
My understanding of Mrs. Audrey Matura-Shepherd’s position is that decriminalizing marijuana use somehow serves the interest of the gangs. If it encourages gang members to make marijuana their drug of preference, I think it would have the opposite effect on their main activity, which is predatory, emphasizing violence. On the other hand, if they are dealers, they will be in the same position as before.
My understanding is that marijuana has a tranquilizing effect. That would not be conducive to gang activity.

The Reporter editorial
If I thought that what the highly respected editor says would be the outcome of decriminalizing the possession of a small quantity of marijuana for personal use, I would not have supported the proposal.
My position, which is shared by all my associates, is that the punishment for the declared offence, which is a jail term and a police record, condemns many young people who might otherwise become productive citizens, to a life of crime.
The editor speaks with great conviction and passion of what will happen to the society if the government accepts the proposal. My response is, that none of us would be able to say with any degree of certainty how our society will react to the proposed amendment to the law, if enacted, if there was no evidence of what happened in other societies where a similar proposal was adopted. Such evidence exists, and that evidence leads me to conclude that the concerns of the Reporter are laudable but, its fears are unfounded.
Conclusion
I have just finished reading a discussion paper on Cannabis prepared for the Canadian Senate Special Committee on illegal drugs.
The question is asked on page 4 of the paper: - Is Cannabis use a cause of crime? These are the two answers: -
1.   Cannabis use does not induce users to commit other crimes.
2.   Cannabis use does not increase aggressiveness or anti-social behaviour.
Of particular interest to the evaluation of the proposal to decriminalize marijuana use is this statement on page 9 of the Discussion Paper, to wit: Studies indicate that more liberal policy approaches have little effect on actually increasing or decreasing use patterns of cannabis.

Amandala

To decriminalize it for those that use it is, IMO, a just move. I do not believe the punishement is appropriate for the action. I think the more important issue should be whether to legalize it or not. Decriminalizing it for those that use it and still making it illegal for the cartels and gangs to distribute it only perpetuates the violence and huge illegal profits.

1. Should an amount of Marijuana be decriminalized? If yes, how much? (one gram of marijuana is equivalent to one standard size unfiltered cigarette)

Yes it should since so many people smoke it anyway and most are not criminals and just like to get high, personally I do not smoke weed however I enjoy a drink which could be considered more damaging that smoking a joint. I think the equivalent of a pack of 20 cigarettes should be allowed.

2. What penalties, in monetary fines and/or community service, should be levied upon first time offenders? Should these penalties remain the same for multiple offenses

I don't think there should be any penalties

3. Should mandatory drug education be required?

No it wont make a blind bit of difference to a pot smoker save the money and give it to Saga which would make more impact

4. Should the penalties for youths and adults be treated differently and if so, how and what age would you use to distinguish between the two?

Kids should not be smoking weed however just like cigarettes and Alcohol they will do if not monitored and that is the parents repsonsibility.

5. Do you believe that "decriminalization" of marijuana will increase, remain the same, or decrease the usage of marijuana both for adults and youths? Please submit data and references to support your position.

Wont make a BLIND BIT OF DIFFERENCE if it becomes legal of decrimanalized I wont be picking up a joint and those that are smoking weed wont suddenly smoke more.

6. Do you believe "decriminalization" will encourage minors to smoke marijuana? Why? Please submit data or references to support your position?

Listen any minor that wants to can already do it so it does not make any difference if they want to they will its available everywhere and very easy to procure. I currently live in a country that has the DEATH PENALTY for weed do you think that stops people ? ABSOLUTELY NOT I know many many people that still smoke even with those penalties.

7. Do you believe that marijuana is more or less harmful than alcohol and tobacco? Why?

Well its the same in my mind whatever toy choose to get your high I like Jack Daniels and that gets me way more fked up than a joint :)now from a health standpoint smoking cant be healthy but its the same to me as smoking cigs and drinking booze.

8. Do you believe that marijuana is the "gateway drug"? Why? What evidence do you have to support either position?

No I was married to a Pot head for 10 years never seen it make her jump to other drugs just because she smoked pot every day.

9. What is your opinion on using for medicinal home remedies?

I think there is enough proof out there to show that weed can help with terminally ill patients and if you ever see anyone who smokes pot you can see the lights are on, but no ones home smile

What other constraints, concerns or suggestions do you have with this proposal?

Just pass the bill and let people get on with what they are going to do anyway.

That is my view

Gaz Cooper

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 08/11/12 12:12 PM.
A
A
Why not give it the same status as tobacco?
People smoke much less of it by volume.
Let any entrepreneurs grow, sell, export.
Provide revenue with reasonable licenses fees and taxes.
This would effectively destroy the black market/cartels and consequent violence.
No one is shooting anyone over cigarettes.
It was legal in all the Latin countries before the US railroaded them with the threat of no foreign aid.
The prospect of dismantling the failed DEA and other Federal Agencies is I suspect the real reason nothing is done by the powers that be.

L
L
This topic has been in the news off and on for years in California. Living so close to the "Emerald Triangle" here in Northern California, especially so. I have heard many a story of people being shot/threatened if they accidentally venture into someone's field. Because of the large amount of money generated, growers have taken to protection in the way of firearms and other forms of violence to protect their "livelihood".

To compare marijuana to alcohol is like comparing apples to oranges. Everywhere, you will hear about drunk drivers, alcohol causing and contributing to violent crimes (rape, robbery, homicide, etc). Rarely, if ever, do you see someone committing a violent crime where it is alleged that being under the influence of pot caused it. It is well documented that alcohol kills more people and causes more problems in almost all societies than any other drug, but that really is not the core issue.

I have no answer and no strong opinion one way or the other, but if marijuana is decriminalized, why not slap a sales tax on it, just like many other goods or services. Bet it would generate tons of dough! Maybe that tax income could be put to good use in some other fashion.

Someone must know the answer to this: Pot is legally for sale in Amsterdam. Wonder what their crime rates are and what they do, if anything with the income from weed.

Senior Police Officers give opinion on decriminalization of marijuana

Late last month, the nation learnt via a press release from the Government of Belize's Ministry of National Security that it had authorized a committee to look into the decriminalization of marijuana.�Chairman of the committee and former Minister of Police, Dough Sing, told the media that the committee had been organized some time ago and is considering decriminalizing around 10grams of marijuana. The discussions have been ongoing on social media, radio talk shows and television. Plus TV's Louis Wade has added to the public discourse and while the three officers in command for the Cayo district was on Rise and Shine last week; the marijuana matter was discussed.

Chester Williams - Officer In Command San Ignacio and Santa Elena
The term that is used is decriminalization, some people tend to have a misconception between the word decriminalization and legalization. Based on what I've heard, what is being proposed is that rather than sending somebody to prison automatic who is caught with a small quantity of marijuana, they will be taken to court and the court will institute a fine, now that fine, if you do not pay that fine by a particular time given to you by the court, then the court will take out what is called a commitment warrant for you and you will still go to prison. Now, what is the case right now? Right now the case is, if you are caught with a small quantity of marijuana, you go to court, the court slaps you with a fine and give you a time to pay, if you do not pay within the particular time you go to prison.
��
There has been a common misconception of what the committee is trying to do as many believe that persons will be allowed to smoke marijuana freely and have greater amounts of marijuana on their person and not be charged. Williams says not so.�

Chester Williams - Officer In Command San Ignacio and Santa Elena
Some people tends to want to believe that the proposed amendment to the law will allow people to have 10grams of marijuana on their possession or will allow people to smoke marijuana openly in public. That is not the case, if you are caught even, let's say for example the government decides to decriminalize marijuana if you are caught with 0.01grams of cannabis you will still be arrested and charged because the law will still remain for possession of control drugs, it will still be a controlled drug, so the law will still be there to govern that, to govern any person who have in their possession any control drug will still be subject to be arrested� and charged by the police and taken to court. The only difference that is being proposed is that rather than the court instituting a imprisonment, incarceration in the first instance, you will be allowed to pay a fine, and if you can't pay the fine, you still go to prison.

Officer in Charge for the City of Belmopan Police formations says that he believe it's going to open a door to more illegal activities and users.�

Alvan Gentle - OIC City of Belmopan
I do believe that although Mr. Williams right said that people will still be held accountable but then at the same time I believe that there will be some people who will take that as a license so to speak to go and get involved with this sort of activity, which will and does and will continue to have an effect on our social life as such. Young people out there, I believe and like I said this is my opinion, I believe there will be more young people more brazen in the schools, at home, everywhere because yes although they know that does not hinder the police from arresting and charging you but then you know what I believe that they will say, okay well, maybe I just get a little slap on the wrist or I just get a little caution as such, but if there is not a deterrent as such, if there is not a way of saying you know what if you do this, this is what will happen to you, no if, buts or maybe then people will abuse, like anything else.

If you want to be involved in the decision making Citizens can make comments to the committee via an email address [email protected]. Plus TV also encourages its viewers to copy their comments to [email protected] so that we could get a firsthand perspective of what Belizeans are telling the Decriminalization Committee. The deadline to have your say in the matter is at the end of this month.

PlusTV

Will decriminalization of Marijuana reduce Police and Court work?

A committee has been commissioned with the responsibility of galvanizing the general consensus of the Belize society in regards to decriminalizing 10grams of marijuana. Plus TV's Louis Wade has added to the public discourse. Wade asked law enforcement officials if they are aware of any instance where a person was caught with marijuana; (not of a commercial quantity) for the first time and that individual was jailed.

OIC San Ignacio Santa Elena - Chester Williams
There are several factors Mr. Wade that the court take into consideration when passing sentence on a person. The court will first and foremost look at the persons criminal history and if the person have a long criminal history, yes at first instance that person can go to prison.

Louis Wade - Plus TV
You know of any instance recently where that has happen?

Yes, Yes when I was a Court prosecutor I�.

Louis Wade - Plus TV

How long ago??

I was a court prosecutor in Dangriga 1999 to 2001

Louis Wade - Plus TV

Thank you very much, Superintendent Moody same question.

OIC Benque Viejo - Supt. Moody

There's none I know of

Louis Wade - Plus TV

Superintendent Gentle same question.

OIC City of Belmopan - Supt. Alvan Gentle

I don't know of any person who on first occasion have been sentence to prison. I know that they have been fined and like what Mr. Williams explained earlier, if that fine is not paid within a period of time. then a commitment warrant issued for that person and then he or she is taken to prison.

�Many persons are of the opinion that decriminalizing a larger amount of marijuana will lead to more adolescent first time users of the drug and that it will not in any way lessen the burden when it comes to the handling of such cases by police officers� .

MARIJUANA INSERT 2
...�the court will institute a fine, now that fine, if you do not pay that fine by a particular time given to you by the court, then the court will take out what is called a commitment warrant for you and you will still go to prison. Now, what is the case right now? Right now the case is, if you are caught with a small quantity of marijuana, you go to court, the court slaps you with a fine and give you a time to pay, if you do not pay within the particular time you go to prison.���

Again if you want to be involved in the decision making Citizens can make comments to the committee via an email address [email protected]. Plus TV also encourages its viewers to copy their comments to [email protected] so that we could get a firsthand perspective of what Belizeans are telling the Decriminalization Committee. The deadline for all comments is until August 31.

PLUSTV

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.