Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Considered a neighborhood in need, San Mateo today received a boost from a business based in Belize City. The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) received a substantial donation of US $50,000 dollars to be used to upgrade the infrastructure in the San Mateo area of San Pedro Town. The donation was made by representatives of Bay Trust International in Belize. The handing over of the check was made on Friday October 26th in the heart of the San Mateo Area and at hand to receive it were members of the SPTC and the Area Representative of Belize Rural South Manuel Heredia Jr.

Glen Wilson of Bay Trust International Limited in Belize, who was on hand to deliver the donation, stated to The San Pedro Sun that after learning about the living conditions in San Mateo it was decided to designated the donation to the people of that area. "I was talking sometime ago to several people that live in San Mateo and people who know about the condition of the people in San Mateo. I said to them, is there anything I can do? I spoke to my fellow directors and we agreed that we should make a significant donation to the town council to help the people of San Mateo. The people don't have proper roads and without roads they can't get water, they can't get electricity into the area" said Wilson. Speaking of the condition of San Mateo, Wilson said "I think this is not the image we want to present to the world about Ambergris Caye. It is where people live because they need to live and they need housing. It is a good area once you can drain it and get the infrastructure that is needed� I think people need help and I think if one person makes a gesture like we did then others are going to follow."

After receiving the donation, the Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero expressed words of gratitude to Wilson and Bay Trust International Limited on behalf of the residents of the island and specifically the people of San Mateo. "This money will be used strictly for materials. He has seen how people live in San Mateo and it has touched his heart," said Mayor Guerrero. Once materials are purchased, the SPTC will contribute labor for the upgrading and opening of new streets in the San Mateo area.

Click here for the rest of the story and more pictures in the San Pedro Sun!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

$50,000US Donation for San Mateo Streets in San Pedro

According to Mayor Guerrero, the monies will be use solely for the purchasing of material which should amount to four barges full of hard core. The Town Council will be in charge of the labor, maintenance and up-keep of the streets. "I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Glen for this donation and also encourage other investors to contribute to the beautification of the island," stated Mayor Guerrero. He also stated that they should receive help from UNICEF for the water and sewer in San Mateo.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

San Mateo Money Being Spent Wisely

A few weeks ago, our colleagues at Reef Radio shared a story with us about a major donation for the upgrading of the San Mateo area in San Pedro.

IT is as poor as any area you will find in Belize city - complete with London Bridges. But the hundred thousand is already being put to work to lay out new roads.

Reef Radio tells us about the equipment that hit the ground yesterday:

Mayor Guerrerro estimates that half the residents still have road access problems...

Today, the San Pedro Town Council presented to media his Council's newest purchase. With the works being carried out in the San Mateo Area as far as street infrastructure is concerned, Mayor Daniel Danny Guerrero is a strong believer is buying the equipment that you need in order to properly carry out the work that San Pedro Town has tasked him to do. With this in mind, Mayor Guerrero presented today, the purchase of a dump truck, the Council newest investment and a good addition to its fleet of equipment.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

San Pedro Town Council's newest machine working for San Mateo

Work continues on the San Mateo streets and the recent donation of $100,000 from Bay Trust International in Belize is in full swing, providing for two barges of hardcore being laid onto the streets in southern San Mateo, then graded. On Wednesday afternoon, November 21st workers and equipment were in full swing, bringing the dream of new streets to a reality for the residents of San Mateo. According to Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the donation will provide for three more barges of hardcore which will help to complete the streets in the southeastern part of San Mateo.

A dump truck, purchased a couple of months ago at a cost of $35,000 has been assigned to the San Mateo area to work on the roads as well. The vehicle was not in proper working condition when it was purchased, but after some much-needed work, it is in full operational mode. Speaking to the media, Mayor Guerro stated, "This truck used to have a huge back [portion] which we had to take off to turn it into a dump truck, and it now reaches international standards." According to the Mayor, the work done on the truck easy exceeded $8,000. Mayor Guerrero is optimistic about the outcome of the work being done in San Mateo. He stated, "The council will continue work on the streets in San Mateo, going towards the west. We will try to open all of these streets to try to avoid these London bridges here. As you can see here it's very beautiful� getting very solid� it's a good foundation and I think it will be very soon that we will be able to get electricity [for the residents]."

Once work is done in San Mateo, the truck will be used to haul landfill material (crushed rock similar to marlstone) from Grand Belizean Estates to create roads in the Eiley Subdivion.

One San Mateo resident, who prefers to remain anonymous, commented on the new roads that finally reached her house, "This is really good to have the road in my area because I was waiting for it and finally it is here. Thank you very much to Mayor Daniel. And you know you are doing a very good job. Thank you very much." For the past five years, this resident would walk on London bridges (single board bridges a few feet above foul water) and via canoe over the canal by Quality Poultry to get to her home. Now her hopes are to be able to more efficiently fill her property and soon get electricity.

Aside from these areas the Mayor plans to redo the road leading from the San Pedro Marina all the way through town, where heavier traffic is a constant.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 176 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.