Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by collyk
Medical care is not hugely expensive here and some people opt to pay as they go.

Yep, the americans obsession with health care insurance is from their being victims of their own system. It's not a financial disaster each time you get sick in other parts of the world. The rest of the world isn't supporting lawyers and doctors extravagant life styles. We just simply pay the affordable bill.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
C
C
i am going to chime in here by pointing out that although some medical situations are largely unavoidable (an accident, cancer predetermined by genetics, etc), many common medical issues such ass high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and first-stage diabetes could be avoided or alleviated by taking care of one's self through diet and exercise. Sometimes living in a place like Belize, where outdoor activities are the norm and not the exception like in the US, will do wonders for your health.

I too have my SS direct deposited in an account in the US. I retired from a county medical system and have complete coverage for the rest of my life with them. I signed over my Medi-Care to them also. I have had a knee and hip replaced since moving here and it has cost me ZERO dollars in California.

My biggest problem with the US health care system is how long it takes to get anything done. I was in almost debilitating pain with my hip and all the docs agreed and it still took 3 months to get the surgery. Even then the care givers were surprised I got it SO FAST!
AND - it did not cost me one red cent.

All of my prescriptions are covered and my son sends them to me.
I keep enough frequent flyer miles to cover any airfare should I need it and not have the money.

Here, if I have a rash or bite or anything I have not been able to cure my self I call my doctor and she sees me that day. It costs me $15 US so I don't even bother with the paperwork to get reimbursed.

I also use RAIN FOREST REMEDIES book for everyday solutions. I grew up poor and in small towns or country. We never ran to the doctor the way so many people do these days.

Having worked 30 years at the hospital and clinic I became aware of the abuses on both sides (patient & care giver). Lawsuits and insurance are the major contributors to the cost in the US.

To many people their caregiver is their best friend and there seems to be no cure for loneliness. We were all taught that a smile, kind word or pat on the hand was as needed and healing as any prescription.

Here is a true story:

A four year old boy just couldn't sit still for the more than an hours wait for his mother to see the doctor. The waiting room was crowded, hot and noisy and after many attempts to keep the child in his seat the mother picked him and and and with a hard push sat him down in his chair. The boy immediately started crying and said "You broke both my balls!" A hush fell over the room and the boy stuck both his hands into his pants pockets ad pulled a dented ping pong ball from each.

An old man walked over and gave the kid a dollar and left saying "Thanks son, you did me more good than any doctor could have."

It's all relative.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OP Offline
Gazing Into the Crystal Ball

I share most of the same sentiments about living on the island that most have expressed, and often wonder what the near future will bring to the aging population of xpats. The comments made by the many to this thread have made a number of things apparent. No doubt, the current status of the health care system in Belize is of concern to many who recognize that their own health may be deteriorating and just how they should deal with it. Some are retired and financially secure and willing to travel to obtain care for a major need. This presumes that time will permit a travel delay to obtaining their treatment. Some will find it financially practical to give up their residency and return home to obtain geriatric treatment or enter an assisted living facility. One question then pops. What does this really mean for the health care of these aging xpats and how will it effect on the overall economy of the GOB?
Consider that fully half of these xpat property owners are financially secure and will remain in Belize to the very end and are willing to travel to obtain geriatric health services. And, that the other half will be forced to give up their residency and property and return home. Are we talking about a big number of people in each of these groups or is it something less than a thousand? Say it's just a thousand throughout the entire country. Now stop time as of today. Then, (the first generation of 500) will, over the next few years, be leaving the country's population and their purchasing power will be lost to the government forever. Suppose these people average spending some $2k/month for groceries, power and "stuff". That represents a large sum of ($$) loss, which will only continues to grow with time. I believe that, if offered the opportunity, these people would remain as a part of the growing population of Belize. But, today these people are being forced out of Belize by the government's policy regarding physicians and health care facilities. Too bad the Medical Tourism program fell apart. When the program was first announced I could envision an explosion in construction of assisted living facilities to accommodate the parents of Wall Street's brokers and half of Miami Beach, each, BIDDING for a room with an ocean view to retire in. I firmly believe that medical reform is the key to growth in the Belize economy. Does any of this make sence?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
I have always been surprised that there are no significant assisted living facilities in Belize.

Ambergris Caye is not the obvious place, but the Corozal area, close to Chetumal Hospitals and very reasonable land and labor costs on the bay make it an ideal location.

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
BUT - we don't like Corozal! We don't want (stinking) nursing homes. There is a fortune to be made if only the law makers could grow up and look further than their own noses.

Don - you make so much sense.

Harriette
OP Offline
Thanks Scuba Lady. I've had some experience dealing with assisted living facilities in the past few years. My wife has has been living in one for 3 years now and it costs me through the nose. When I think about those folks that currently are resident in Belize and are getting to the age that they are forced to make the decision wheather to stay or go home for medical reasons, (as all xpats will) I can only offer them my sympathy. This situation only results in the "Revolving Door) syndrome for the population of Belize. "Old people out- Young people in". I often think about, how many (40 room) 5 star resorts even gross $3.5 mil a year, when you consider their 37% occupancy rate. It appears to me that a state of the art assisted living facility would be a "gold Mine" as well as provide a bunch of jobs. And the country could probably accommodate 20 such places. Why don't they see it?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
What cage do we need to rattle?

Harriette
E
E
"What Cage" or "Who's Cage"

I do not need no cage to rattle.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 158 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.