Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

BMA Catches September Spirit

Musical interlude. The Benque Music Academy has caught the September Celebrations spirit. They practice regularly at the Benque House of Culture, which celebrated it's 12 anniversary today.

"The great September Spirit with the Benque Marimba Academy performing one of the Belizean tunes for the season, do you know which one is this???"

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

VIDEO: Belize Carnival King and Queen Competition 2013

The Belize Carnival King and Queen Competition is growing by leaps and bounds with new entries and improved levels of costume making for Carnival 2013.

This year there were a total of 22 competitors in 4 different categories. The categories are Junior Queen, Junior King, Senior Queen and Senior King.

I must say that this was a very exciting event that had the crowds cheering, hooting, hollering and blowing whistles for their neighborhood representatives or the costume they thought was the best. The king and queen participant vigorously worked their costumes to the soca music of Belizean Artists TR Shine and Ernestine Carballo as well as many other international Soca Artists as the crowds cheered louder and louder.

In the end only one from each category could emerge victorious as the number 1 King and Queen.

This years winnners are:

Junior Queen
1st - Queen Tatiana - Sunshine Masqueraders
2nd - Queen Xateia - Sunshine Masqueraders
3rd - Queen Ixchel - Jump Street Posse

Junior King -
1st - King Charikanari - Jump Street Posse
2nd - King Heidies - Sunshine Masqueraders
3rd - King Aqua - Pickstock Carnival Band

Senior Queen
1st - Queen Fantasia - Eternity Mas Band
2nd - Queen Herta - Mother's Nature Creation
3rd - Queen La Bella - Mother's Nature Creation

Senior King.
1st - King Lionel - Belizean Jewels
2nd - King Marfin - Belizean Jewel
3rd - King Harmen - Trench Town Masqueraders

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Nice story about the San Pedro St. Georges Caye Day Parade by the Scoop here.

Tenth September Parade in San Ignacio, Cayo

The Citizen's Parade passing in front of the police station in San Ignacio town and heading over the historic Hawksworth Bridge

Citizen's Parade in Santa Elena

Here comes the citizen's parade in Santa Elena town.

Why the 10th of Sept is such a Patriotic Day for Belizeans

Although we haven't lived in Belize in such a long time, our hearts still yearn for Belize on these special days.

Happy Battle of St. George's Caye Day: 10th of September Song

Have a great holiday. Thanks, Will Moreno for the musical interlude: 10th of September Song, with some great pictures in it.

Tenth September - Lord Rhaburn Combo & Calypso Rose

Belizean Patriotic Music

St. George's Cay Day Official Holiday Proclamation

Belize celebrates St. George's Caye Day

The official St. George's Cay Day ceremonies were held on Tuesday morning in Belize City. It included an address by the Charmian of the September Celebrations Commission, Minister of Tourism Manuel Heredia, the Mayor of Belize City and the installation/crowning of the new Queen of the Bay. Here is a recording of the ceremonies as it was streamed live on West Vision. The video feed came courtesy of Great Belize Television (Channel 5).

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
215 years after the Battle of St. George's Caye, and 115 years after the event was first commemorated - the tradition of the Tenth continues. It may not be as robust as it was thirty years ago, but it's still a key part of the September Celebration Season. Channel 7 had live coverage of the ceremonial and social events to mark the tenth yesterday - and here's how they went�.

Jules Vasquez
The tenth day at Memorial Park started with the arrival of dignitaries including the leader of the opposition, the Chief Justice, the Prime Minister and The Governor General.

From there commenced the speeches, which played on the well turned theme of the Tenth's validity both as history and celebration:

Bernard Q. Pitts, Jr. - Ag. Deputy Mayor
"Some say too that the Battle of St. George's Caye is a 215 years old story - that is with mixed with fiction, for that I say - fiction quickly evaporates when confronted by the facts and for this reason the events of the Battle of St. George's Caye should be recounted proudly to future generations as it is the beacon of true Belizean liberation."

Hon. Manuel Heredia - Chairman, September Celebration Committee
"The victory of the Baymen signals a decisive end of the effort of the Spanish to settle this territory. It also marks a turning point in our history and in motion that would lead to our independence."

After this, the Parade wound through the city. Passing our vantage point in 15 minutes, it was one of the shortest we can recall, and was made memorable by a jump up notable mostly for the characters and the spirit of the street dance upon which we suspect the member for Belize Rural Central may still look disapprovingly.

But on this day, all was permitted even for tourists.

Tenth Tradition Still In Cultural DNA

And while this year's tenth parade has to be recorded as a disappointment, don't take the relatively poor turnout to signal that the event has lost its meaning. More than a century after Simon Lamb fought to have the Tenth memorialized, the roots of the tradition still go deep into Belize's Cultural DNA. Daniel Ortiz spoke to some of the Tenth traditionalists who were cueing up for the March:�

Hon. Michael Finnegan - Parade Participant
"I do this every year because of the richness of the people who came before and I will continue to do it until I can't do it anymore."

Hon. Patrick Faber - Parade Participant
"About 1998 or so when I came back from the University, I made it my business, it's a tradition for me, to participate in this parade on an annual basis."

Hon. Wilfred Elrington - Member, Imperial Band
"The tenth is very important because it is the first occasion when the people of Belize, settlement of Belize actually had to find to defend this country and everything in my view begins with the tenth of September."

Bernard Q. Pitts, Jr. - Ag. Deputy Mayor
"It's not about me being a counsilor because really and trule I'm a Belizean, it's a part of our heritage and it's the right thing for us to do - we should march on the 10th of September."

Hon. Anthony 'Boots' Martinez
"This is our National holiday and this was even before independence and so it is very important for us to celebrate - at least I'm 50years old and as I can recall there's only one year I missed this even."

Daniel Ortiz
"Do you still see the young people participating as they should?"

Hon. Anthony 'Boots' Martinez
"Well the main thing is for us to be patriotic - I think you see more and more people joining in in these celebrations."

Daniel Ortiz
"How long have you been participating in the parade?"

Martha Davis - Parade Participant
"All my life, from the time I was a creature."

Daniel Ortiz
"How have you seen it change over the years?"

Martha Davis
"Tremendously - I went to the states for 8 years and I came back and I'm happy. In the olden days, Belize people used to support it more but it's still a good parade."

Eric Neal - Flag Bearer
"It's an honor to be leading the parade, It's official September - it's our heritage man."

Theola Perto - Grand Master, Citizen's Parade
"It's a great honor bestowed on me."

Gerine Avila - Queen of the Bay, 2013
"This is my first event as the Queen of the Bay."

Daniel Ortiz
"What is your impression of the celebration so far?"

Gerine Avila -
"I'm excited, I have to say thanks for all the support and I feel great about it and first time I've experienced such a big parade."

Daniel Ortiz
"Do the member of the BDF band hold this in great honor?"

Kevin Camble - Band Master, BDF Band
"Well, indeed a lot of sacrifice. All of the males that you're seeing right there, has their own jobs so of course none of them are full time, so it's they and their families make a lot of sacrifices around this time because they don't get to be on the sidelines, they have to work."

Joyce Flowers - Ms. YWCA 2008/2009
"I think it's dropping off, when I was a little girl, some people don't really bother about the tenth anymore."

Daniel Ortiz
"Tell us about your impressions of this celebration - how has it grown or decreased since?"

Catherine Flowerrs - Ms.YWCA, 2004/2005
"Decreased since years ago, I wanted to come back because the children are growing up and we wanted to show them what the 10th is all about."

Eloisa Hassan - Ms. YWCS
"Today we celebrate our independence, out nationhood - I love this day especially."

Daniel Ortiz "Have you seen it increased of decreased over the years that you participated?"

Eloisa Hassan
"I've seen it decreased a little bit, people have lost some of the patriotism spirit."

Hon. Wilfred Elrington
"It fluctuates, but you have to keep on going that's why we're out here every tenth and 21st to instill in our people about patriotism."

Myrna Manzanares - Parade participant the Battle of St. George's
"It is so important because this is a part of our heritage. The younger children don't know what is going on - all they want to hear is their own music and they're not listening to the history of St. George's Caye, they don't know the history of Flower's bank - nobody tells them."

Hon. Patrick Faber
"But it's up to us to tell them and to know the significance of the battle - it is up to parents and teachers to make sure that the instruction is happening in their classrooms. For instance my two boys are right behind me in the truck with Mr. Finnegan and last year they walked the entire route of the parade and this year they intend to go the whole way as well. I try as best as I can to instill in them the significance of our national days and make them a part of the celebration."

On Saturday, there will be more from the September Celebrations when tens of thousands make their way to the City for both Carnival and the Chamber's Expo 2013. Channel 7 will there to provide you with live coverage of both.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Battle of St George's Caye Day in Succotz
Pictures from the Battle of St. George's Caye Day parade in Succotz. Courtesy of D Russell Photography.

Battle of St. George's Caye Day Pictures
The Cayo Welcome Center came alive yesterday after the Battle of St. George's Caye Day parade. The Queen of the West, Vanny Pat, was there, along with the other Queen of the West contestants, to give candy to all the kids. Pandy was there, as was DJ Diamond, to provide entertainment to the happy crowd.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Tribute to the Baymen brings history and entertainment to San Pedro Town

The San Pedro Town Council working along with the San Pedro Cultural Committee hosted the second annual Tribute to the Baymen. The event took place at Central Park on the eve of the 10th of September - a celebration to commemorate the Battle of Saint George's Caye. Belize celebrated the 215th anniversary since the historic battle that saw the last attempt by the Spaniards to invade the British Colony in 1798.

The event started with the sounding of the fire engine siren. That took place at 8PM and saw the Traffic Department, Fire Department and a few bicycles parading through the main downtown area. The bicycles were decorated and judged. Winners were 1st place - Kareena Paz, 2nd place - Pios Zetina and a tie for third by Jordan Santos and Joshua Fuentez. They all won cash prizes. And while the small parade went around town, the San Pedro High School Marching Band entertained residents who came out to celebrate.

In welcoming the residents and visitors to the event, Mayor of San Pedro Daniel Guerrero reminded those present about the importance of paying tribute to those who fought to secure the British settlement now called Belize. Meanwhile Minister of Tourism and Culture, and Chairman of the National September Celebration Commission,Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. said that events such as the Tribute to the Baymen highlight Belize's culture and rich history.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

10th of September Parade in Belize 2013

Here is a quick overview of the ceremony and parade that was held on the 10th of September for the Battle of Saint George's Caye Day in Belize.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
As Belize prepares to celebrate its Independence, a little reflection and retrospection might be in order. On Saturday September 21st, we celebrate as a nation, the 32nd anniversary of this momentous milestone. There were many who believed, and probably some who still do, that Belize was not ready for Independence in 1981. Many were the predictions and forebodings of dark days and doom as a result of the bold step into self determination. The visionary statesman who is the Father of our Nation was not deterred however and 32 years later, Belize is still standing. Guatemala has not invaded and the sky has not fallen upon us.

For many of us older heads, 1981 seems but a few short years ago. For the majority of Belizeans (census figures suggest that a majority of the population is under 30 years of age), Belize has always been independent. For those of us who can recall early Belize, the development and expansion has truly been amazing. The buildings have changed from wood to concrete, technology has us connected around the clock and aggressive tourism marketing has bared our secrets to the world. If Mother Nature still has well-kept secrets, certainly Belize would no longer be counted among them.

Since Independence Belize has changed governments six times with our two main political parties sharing terms of office. The UDP is currently midway through their fourth term, having joined the PUP in winning consequence terms of office. Despite blaming the PUP for everything that has gone wrong in Belize, the figures now show that since Independence, the UDP has been as many years in office as the PUP. Obviously they have to share in the blame for the things that they continue to complain has not gone right for Belize.

All things being equal, we can readily look back at Belize's progress and regressions and figure out which party has been productive and which has been mainly talk. After almost six years of their current term, many are beginning to believe that the UDP makes a much more efficient opposition than it does a government. While in Opposition, the UDP seemed able to manipulate the media, infiltrate the Unions and NGO's and were quite effective at nudging the PUP into action. The PUP apparently makes a less effective opposition since they have not been able to stir the people to "civil unrest" despite unprecedented corruptions and many things having gone wrong. In government, the PUP seems more masterful and efficient in stimulating the economy, creating jobs and putting bread on people's tables. Under the UDP, unemployment stays above twenty percent and the poverty rate has more than doubled. There are those of course, who enjoy lavish lifestyles but most are close to or related to government officials. Something is just not right.

For those Belizeans who remember pre-Independence Belize, the transformation from colony to nationhood has involved much more than just a change in name and flag color. We have come from one lane dirt roads to an intricate system of decent roadways crisscrossing our nation. We can point to the Boom Cutoff, the Hummingbird and Southern Highways, a by-pass in Orange Walk, the Belize River Valley Road and the Placencia Road as just some of the areas in which improvement has been marked and notably apparent. Many villages have received light, water and basic commodities that were at one time, mainly the objects of dreams and political promises. Much of this progress occurred under the PUP and many Belizeans will readily admit that they enjoy a much better quality of life under the People's United Party. Yes, there have been challenges under both parties but somehow, the PUP's seem more adept at digging in and digging out of holes. The UDP is better at casting blame, creating timely distractions and making false promises. One party is of substance while the other is of pure glitter. It does not take a Rhodes Scholar to figure out which is which.

The hard cold fact is that looking back, we can see where the visionaries of the PUP's have pushed us forward progressively while the more conservative and pessimistic UDP's have retarded our growth. The PUP's have taken charge and taken chances, bucked the odds and withstood the criticism while the UDP's have continually looked backwards, blamed and complained. We attained Independence in spite of the skepticisms of those very ones who now enjoy the benefits and at age thirty-two, Belize remains afloat with all borders sovereign and intact.

Now, while in a secular sense, Belize has evidence to show much progress, spiritually we are practically brain-dead. Morality is out the window, adherence to rules is rare and respect for authority was left behind with colonialism. Our per capita murder-rate is among the highest in the world, corruption is more the rule than the exception and love of country is low and seem to last only for as long as the celebrations of September. We are ruled by despots whose main ambition is to enrich themselves and their families while the people's business goes untended.

This September, we have seen the usual influx of friends and family from the abroad. Of course, the number is not nearly what it used to be, given that many are now firmly entrenched in the U.S. system and many who have young children who must return to school. I do not often agree with the publisher of the Amandala, but on this one matter, I do. It is time for us to reach out to those in the Diaspora and time for them to think more in terms of ways to help us. I am still strongly opposed to any with duo-citizenship being allowed to run for office but there are many other ways in which those who still love Belize can help. There is more that Belize can do to entice those who have gone away to come back and lend their expertise and experiences. Instead of sharing out public land to only family and friends of the party in office, our Lands Department could make land available to those who wish to repatriate. We all love Belize and we are duty-bound to help her grow.

Yes Belize, we are independent and we have come a long way, physically. We all have phones but we do very little communicating. We have better roads but we all seem headed to nowhere and getting there pretty fast. You might say that we are headed to hell in a wheel-Barrow! Happy Independence Belize!

--
G. Michael Reid
Citizen of the world

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Honorable GMike:

I beg to differ on your point about borders in your attached piece. You wrote:"...all [Belize's] borders [are] sovereign and intact." While in fact that is debatable. If they were, why on earth is there the OAS presence in that thing called the Adjacency Zone?

Our borders are as porous as ever and impossible to patrol and manage. Belize today is over-run by recent migrants mostly from Guatemala, the bully neighbor that claim us. And their numbers are expanding exponentially...both the legal and illegal ones...and only the ministers can call on the immigration to execute any enforcement raids. The officers hands are tied and this is the case whichever of the two parties are in power. Whenever an election is looming the borders are over-run by migrants coming for their Belize passports and voter registration cards.

And these new passport Belizeans don't participate in celebrating our important daze because they have their own...on the 15th.

Within the past two weeks we've had two heavy weight delegations visit Belize and toured sections of our imaginary borders. We had the top dog 4 pip general from the USA whose region we happen to fall and the Mexican Foreign Minister. If our borders were "sovereign and intact", why the hell would they have visited to examine them?

And now, only yesterday, Thursday 12th Sept, The Most Honorable Foreign Minister & Attorney General sent out a press release inviting the public to the Bliss on Sept 18th in the evening to discuss...take a wild kfing guess!!!

So no, no Sir, while i have tremendous respect for your work over the past two decades or so, I vehemently beg to disagree with that very ill-conceived statement on border security you used, especially at a time when we are suppose to celebrate that thing the Most Honorable Father of the Nation fought so hard for that they call independence.

without fear or favour,
trevor

===================

Objection recognized and duly noted!

--
G. Michael Reid

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Great article in the San Pedro Scoop:
CARNIVAL 2013: Belize City Wi Mash It Up, Part One

Lots of excellent photos....

B
B
Thanks! The Market Expo (sorta parta September celebrations) was AWESOME TOO! http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2013/0...elize-national-football-team-plinko.html

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.