Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#436701 04/27/12 08:28 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Anyone have an update on what is going on there?
I read all the threads that were actually quite negative back in 2009 and 2010. Nothing really posted since Q3 2010. Plan on coming down in summer 2013 to visit as I own a larger lot in the development but thought id see if i spark a firestorm by asking what is happening...

I visit it regularly. It has street signs and lot numbers displayed but basically still just a group of empty lots with no electricity, water or sewage. The price of the lots has doubled or more but still no development or infrastructure.
It will be interesting to see if the new government will issue building permits.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks. I assumed as much. Yes. They state that there are a dozen or so in the architect stage. Very small number considering total lots sold. My lot will be one of the first to have access to power and is on high dry ground on south eastern corner. My time horizon is long. I probably wont even start planning for another 3 years. I want other owners to work through the issues.
Ive read about sewer and water concerns. But Id think with the right elevation (even if that means fill), good septic and using cisterns for water you would be ok. Im well above sea level and my lot will need no fill. i guess if your neighbor didnt that could be an issue.
Alot of work to do to make it livable for sure. I am hoping that if i wait these things will get resolved.
with the bond market the way it is they are already selling for 50% more than I paid so ill wait it out. Im am no developer.. just a guy who wants to retire with a winter home. Im only 41 so i will work for another 20 years. if i lost my money then its a learning experience at my age.
Ill check back on occasion or so and see if permits are being issued.
Do you think the new govt is going to approach this differently?
my hope is that while rules may have been broken in the early days, that everyone can get together and negotiate a deal to fix it since its obviously here and isnt going anywhere.

Last edited by bradneffie; 04/28/12 09:25 AM.
New government is still on its honeymoon and after the sweet talk is over I guess we'll see.
Your right about it being here and not going anywhere. The damage is done and now we can only try and make the best of it.
Lets hope it doesn't turn out like San Mateo, where government allowed people to build on bulldozed mangrove swamp that had no electrical, fresh water or sewer and now we have a blight on the island of impoverished people living in conditions they need to be rescued from.
cross your fingers.

White Sands Dive Shop
There are now power poles through part of GBE, a relatively recent development. We ride our bikes up there from time to time, so if we see any other development, will post again.

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you Emily.

I agree Elbert. I prefer that it be done right or not at all. Sounds like efforts are being made to not relive the sins of the past, but time will tell. I live in a neighborhood here in the states where if you have grass growing onto the curb you get a letter in the mail. very strong deed restrictions. I think that some govt regulation is needed to preserve the local economy and environment.

Last edited by bradneffie; 04/29/12 09:34 AM.
C
C
I hear (and see on youtube) that the first house is now under construction?

That would be the second, the first got taken down for lack of building permit, no water, no electrical and no sewage.

White Sands Dive Shop
Or third ......there has been a white house out there for a long time - I presume it's associated with the construction crew.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 195 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.