Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The eighth murder for the New Year was recorded today. Police say a watchman is dead and two others are missing from Mapp Caye. While his name has not been confirmed, his body was discovered with a gunshot wound to the head and dumped in a latrine. The last time trio's families heard from them was last week Friday and a check on the caye this morning turned up the decomposing body of the watchman. A fisherman and the owner of the caye, Evan Neal, are nowhere to be found. Police and Coast Guard are now looking for the missing men. Today police told the press that the incident appears to be connected to other attacks that have happened on cayes in recent months. Police suspect these attacks are drug related.

ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City

"Police visited Mapp Caye which is located about three miles northeast of Belize City. Upon arrival, they observed the motionless body of a male person in an advanced state of decomposition inside of a latrine. Also observed on the male person was a suspected gunshot wound to the back of his head. What we understand so far is that he was along with two other persons at the camp, Mapp Caye and the last time they heard from them was on Friday. Family members became concerned as they were trying to call the persons at the island and no one answered; hence the reason they had visited the Coast Guard and along with police, they went to the location and that is where they found the body this morning. There is no identity up to now."

Andrea Polanco

"And then you are saying a second person. Is there anyone presumed missing at this time?"

ASP Alejandro Cowo

"The other two persons; we were informed by the family members that they were supposed to be on the island and they cannot be located up to now."

Andrea Polanco

"Do you have any identity for these individuals?"

ASP Alejandro Cowo

"Only one name; Mister Evan Neal. And also two small vessels are missing."

Andrea Polanco

"Are you investigating this as a robbery or perhaps a drug deal gone bad out at sea? Are there anything specifically that you are looking at in terms of investigating this particular case?"

ASP Alejandro Cowo

"We believe that it is linked up to other incidents that have been happening in that immediate area during the past month or month and a half."

Reporter

"Relating to what incident sir?"

ASP Alejandro Cowo

"There was an incident where two guys were shot with a fishing rod. That was about two months ago and thereafter there was another incident about three weeks ago, involving a male and a female."

Andrea Polanco

"Do you have any idea what could be prompting these attacks on these persons who are out stationed on those cayes?"

ASP Alejandro Cowo

"We suspect it is drug related."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Evan Neal's Family Desperate For Answers

Where is Evan Neal? The 43 year old father of three is the owner of the fishing camp on Mapp Caye and he is missing tonight. Police found his watchman, 29 year old Edinio Enso Humes dead on Saturday night in a latrine with a gunshot to the head.

But Evan Neal and another unidentified man are still unaccounted for. His brother Mark told us why recent events on the island have him fearing the worst:

Mark Neal, Brother - Evan Neal, missing
"As we know when system like this happen - 2-3 days, our hope kinda lost. But I am hoping that fishermen around the area who work within the area fishing and vessels like the water taxis' passing by, if they see anything they can inform us. We need closure. Even if I find my brother not alive, I would hope not, because I have faith in the Lord that will happen. We are asking the general public and fishermen within the area if you see anything, call us. It might be a reward there. We are trying to get my brother and we are trying to get closure and it hurts my heart every time I don't have closure on my brother. That's my little brother."

"Anybody see anything out there, even see one of the vessels he owns, has the name on it - they can give me a call."

Reporter
"What's the name of the vessels they should be looking at?"

"I know the main vessel he was in - the one with the motor that was missing, named Shanice and the other one named Shannon. I don't know which area they are, but we are hoping that we might find my brother alive."

Reporter
"In deed. Explain to me what's the history of that area and why you do have grave concerns?"

"He had spoken to me in October there are a bunch of pirates, guys who called themselves pirates. They go and start to steal people things within the area. My brother had run them off 2-3 times. I think he even called the Coast Guard on them and made a report. This was in October and he told me you know bro, those guys are messing with it, he says I am trying to hold them down, because all I want to do is live. They are pirates and they will do anything and I am feeling that I hope the police visit these complaints my brother made, because it might be helpful."

Reporter
"Do you think that might be a factor that someone thinks that the men on that island may know the whereabouts of some floating drugs?"

"I don't think so, my brother has never got caught up within that. I am not saying would be lucky if he found them. But I am saying to you that I know these pirates has been trying after him for some time, trying to run him from the area and try to steal his pot or his lobster traps."

Neal has been a fisherman for his entire adult life.

Anyone with any information on the whereabouts of Evan Neal is asked to call 651-1429.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

MAPP Caye Fisher still missing-Family wants answers

43 year-old Evan Neal, a father of three who owns a fishing camp on Mapp Caye is still missing. The watchman for the camp, 29 year-old, Edinio Enso Humes, was found with a bullet to the head in a latrine on the 14th of January. Neal and another man that the police department has not named, are still unaccounted for. The family of Neal fear the worst. Mark Neal, Evan's brother, told Belmopan correspondent Pauline Tillett that the family just wants closure.

Pauline Tillet: "43 year old Evan Neal has been missing at sea for the past 15 days. His family is worried and need your help. Love News spoke with his brother Mark Neal who is pleading to the public.

Mark Neal: " We are still looking for my brother as it has been over 15 days. His name is Evan Neal who has been missing at Mapp Caye. We are pleading to the general public and to the boaters out there if they have seen anything we asking please if you can call us and tell us, we just want closure for him you know it's kind of hard for us to not have closure and not know exactly where he is and we still have faith because God is good and we believe that so once again all boaters and even Water Taxi people I am begging you if you see anything or know nothing please contact us or the Police you can reach me at 6511429 and I would really appreciate it so we can get some closure on my brother. It is very sad for the family not knowing where he is or where he might be so we asking please if you know anything, saw his boat or anything please give us a call we would really appreciate it.

I am Pauline Soberanis Tillet, Love News Cayo Correspondent.

The police department had said alleged at one of its recent, weekly press conferences that the murder of the security guard and the disappearance of the men is drug-related.

LOVEFM

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Evan Neal's Boat Found; Neal and Employee are Still Missing

It's been two months since Evan Neal and his employee, Anthony Reneau, went missing off an island. Today police confirmed they have recovered one of the boats that belonged to Neal. On Wednesday, patrol team discovered the vessel and another boat among some mangroves. There was nothing onboard to provide police with a picture of what happened to the missing seaman and his worker. Back in January, Neal and Reneau went missing from Mapp Caye. His other employee, Edinio Humes, was discovered murdered and dumped inside a latrine on the caye. Today, police say that the men are still presumed missing and there is still an open investigation into their disappearance.

ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City

"They visited, along with Coast Guard personnel, the Mapp Caye area again. There between some mangroves police found one of the boats by the name of Shannon, that was reported missing, along with its engine. The boat was found between the mangroves but there was nothing else inside of it, only small fishing equipment inside of it. There were several instances that police were visiting that area. That is a wide area with many channels and police were going through different channels. Fortunately, yesterday, they were through one of them where police found that boat and another boat that was reported missing about four years ago. One of the boats that was reported missing was submerged and it was brought up by coast guard."

Reporter

"That boat reported missing years ago, is that related to any other crime?"

ASP Alejandro Cowo

"No. We have verified it and we have gotten an address and the owner of the boat."

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.