Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#54049 06/14/02 08:43 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Ok, I need some more help. . .
Decided to definitely get certified, now I need to choose the dive shop. I have seen good reports on Amigos, Barefoot and Ambergris, and need help deciding. I am staying at Rubies, so I am wondering if I should choose the closest shop? I want a knowledgable instuctor, but I also want to have fun during this experience. Any fond memories of learning to dive in Ambergris you would care to share?

[This message has been edited by ellydognme (edited 06-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ellydognme (edited 06-14-2002).]

#54050 06/14/02 09:09 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Toad

Leaving in 11 days, so can't get certified here. Plus, I thought it would be a nice way to learn a new sport and make some friends(sounds very cliche, but oh well)Do you know if any of the shops sell quality snorkel/masks? My bags are packed with extra stuff for Saga, and I will have more room on the way home. Also, do you recommend a specific brand for the gear if I end up buying it here?

#54051 06/14/02 09:53 PM
K
K
Sylvan Forman out of Coral Beach Dive Shop is an excellent instructor. I did my book work at home and did my open water with him several years ago. Have since sent many friends to him for open water certification. Talk to him and think about it.

#54052 06/14/02 09:54 PM
K
K
P.S. Dive several times with different types of rental equipment before you decide to invest a lot of money into equipment that should last a long time.

#54053 06/14/02 11:12 PM
I recommend you buy your mask and snorkel before you go down. You will need help making sure you get a good fit and you should be able to try out a few in the dive shop's pool before you buy. I never saw any dive masks for sale at the dive ops I was at. That doesn't mean no one sells them but I did think it odd that none of the operator's shops I was in seemed to be carrying any retail gear.

Perhaps Blue Hole Divers sells them? Anybody know?

You will be able to rent mask and snorkel along with the rest of your gear if you don't buy before you go. However, if you are serious about this take an hour or two at the dive shop in your home town before you leave. Make sure you try it with the snorkel in your mouth. You will be happy that you have your own.

As for recommendations for Ambergris Divers, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone recommend their instructor(s). That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with him(them) just that I haven't seen anyone make a recommendation in that regard. Whereas I have seen recommendations for the instructors at Amigos and at Barefoot. If nothing has changed the instructor at Amigos is an English fella. And they have their own classroom area, separate from the shop. If I'm recalling correctly, I believe that you will be closer to Amigo's if you are staying at Rubies, than you would be to Barefoot.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#54054 06/15/02 08:48 AM
K
K
Seashell is right. There isn't much available here in terms of retail dive equipment. The import duties are very high and we'd have to sell it for about twice what you can buy for in the US and elsewhere.

Buy a good mask, fins and dive skin (all personal fitting gear)before you come, and rent the scuba gear until you know exactly what you want.

#54055 06/15/02 10:10 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Kent

Ok, I think I can swing the purchase of the mask/snorkel, but the others are a little too costly for right now (Teacher = no pay for the next three months). Will I still have a good experience even if I rent the rest of the equipment?

Thanks

#54056 06/15/02 01:50 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Hey now, it is not nice to discourage a girl's dream of a new adventure. . .
Anyway, I don't have a problem with the cost of the course and such, it is just that I don't want to spend an extra three hundred on equipment I am not sure I will ever use again. At least with the mask/snorkel purchase, I know I will be able to use them on future vacations.

#54057 06/15/02 04:05 PM
S
S
We got certified last summer on AC. We bought our masks and snorkels at home and rented the rest on the island.
No Problems!

#54058 06/15/02 07:18 PM
W
Woz Offline
W
Diving is a great way to meet people. And you'll be seeing them at their happiest. There is nothing so gleeful as a land locked diver from the North hitting warm tropical waters.
Try to find a Dive shop at home that lets you try out the equipment. There is nothing like a leaky, ill fitting mask to ruin a good dive.
SEA SHELL this is a shot in the dark, but did yoou go to school in Canada?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.