FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Swimming and dining out is a go, after SOE regulations further relaxed
After nearly 2 months with a 'no swimming' rule in place, Belizeans are relieved that the State of Emergency regulations are relaxed. Dining out is also a welcome change.

Woofer: Paper Inventions
"Mr. Dennis, this Reuben," Mario said. The earnest-looking young Reuben shook my hand and joined us at our morning coffee on the beach. "Mario says you want some advice," I said. "How can I help you?" "I invent things made of paper," he said. "I'm a good inventor but I don't know anything about selling. Mario says you studied business at university so maybe you could advise me."

BTB Partners with Water Walkers Club to Assist the Needy in Belize City
As part of its commitment to assist families in need during this very difficult period created by COVID-19, the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) this week partnered with Water Walkers Boys & Girls Club to provide groceries to 50 needy families in Belize City. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the BTB recognized that it was imperative to reach out to help those most in need.

The IDB and Compete Caribbean announces fifteen finalists for the Social Innovation Challenge
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the Compete Caribbean Partnership Facility (CCPF) with its partners - the United Kingdom's Department for International Development, the Caribbean Development Bank and the Government of Canada - announced the fifteen finalists for the challenge in Belize known as the 'Change Dah Story' Social Innovation Challenge. Change Dah Story, piloted by the CCPF in collaboration with IDB's Country Office in Belize, aims to support the development of innovative business ideas around the issues faced by vulnerable youth in Belize, including crime and violence.

Rotary Club of Taiwan Donates Medical Equipment
In a brief handing-over ceremony held on May 13, 2020, in Taipei, Taiwan, the Ambassador of Belize to the Republic of China (Taiwan) H.E. Diane Haylock received, on behalf of the Government of Belize, 200 protective gowns and 5,000 medical gloves from the Rotary Club of Taipei Nanlung. The donation was an initiative of a Taiwanese-Belizean, Mr. Feng-Yi Chang.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Soup Kitchen day Location
Sunday, May 17th, Meal pick ups Henry from Amigo's Kitchen will be serving up lunch at his NEW venue on the island, Summer Island, (formerly Amor y Cafe) on Front Street. How exciting! We wish him much success and appreciate all that he does for the CCSK! Times: Village: 11:00am - 11:45am. Bahia: 11:45am- 12:30pm. Keep bringing your containers and bags. That is a BIG help!

Tropic Air Adds Flights To Corozal, Dangriga, Placencia & Punta Gorda
Tropic Air announces that effective Monday, May 18, 2020, we will be adding flights and service days on our routes between San Pedro and Corozal, and between Belize City Municipal and Dangriga, Placencia and Punta Gorda. This is in addition to the increased flights between Belize City, San Pedro and Caye Caulker that were announced yesterday. Please note there will be no flights on public and bank holidays.

COVID-19 update:
This is our data for today. Our staff continues to work through the weekends especially as we start to "open up" more routine services. All samples processed today are negative and random testing continues! We need to remain vigilant given the growing numbers with our neighbours. Our work continues!

Are you in favor of moving the water taxi terminal to where Ruby's on the beach is?
Listening to the talk show about the proposed water taxi terminal at Ruby's. Is there anyone in this town who wants the water taxi there? My mom, Celi McCorkle, and I met w the owners of the water taxi, including minister Heredia, a few months ago. And this is how it went down. 1. THEIR reason for not moving in the back is that the entrance/exit is way to shallow for them to go in and out. It would be way to expensive for them to make it deeper. Our answer: that's not really our problem. You knew the back was the new area for water taxis and everyone was suppose to move back there...

Gilharry 7 Virtual Father's Say Back Yard Tribute
Hey Guys Gilharry 7 Band goes Live Again this time is All About The Fathers. Virtual Father's Say Back Yard Tribute Sunday, June 14th 2020 2:30 pm - 4:30pm Live in Concert- Feeling Blessed.

Food Donations for Cristo Rey
We had a wonderful time on Froday, May 15th 2020 as we supported our dear friends from the village of Cristo Rey, Corozal District, Belize with a generous supply of foods as we go through the financial pressures of Covid 19 pandemic in Belize. We are grateful for our support team members of To'one Masehualoon NGO, Ms Loreen Matura, Zuri and Enan and Miss Christy Valdez and all our dedicated financial supporters. Together we can continue to be healthy and resilient. Yuum Bo'otik Kanantabaa

Los Esperemos - We Will Wait
Tony Rath published an article about the fires and the illegal ranches in the Chiquibul and the Vaca Plateau. It's a must read, albeit quite depressing once one realizes that millions of dollars are behind the illegal encroaching into the reserves. "The past month has been rough for the people of western Belize. Clouds of acrid, eye burning smoke settled over the countryside, insidiously penetrating cars, buildings and bedrooms leaving no place for relief. With blistering heat, little breeze and quarantined by Covid-19 to their homes, Belizeans were getting a preview of what the entrance to hell must be like...

Channel 5

A large fire is burning out of control near Belmopan
Firefighters have responded.

The Reporter

Valley of Peace gas station Robbed
Four dark-skinned men driving a black Isuzu robbed the Valley of Peace gas station yesterday around 4:30 p.m. The robbers made off toward Spanish Lookout but overturned in their haste to get away.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Arthur, first storm of 2020 Hurricane season
The National hurricane Center has issued an advisory for Tropical Storm Arthur which has become [�]

Tropical Depression one, first of Atlantic Hurricane season forms off South Florida coast
The National Hurricane Center has issued a tropical storm watch for portions of the North [�]

Fire causes smoke fog over Belmopan
Authorities responded to reports of a fire reportedly located south of Cotton Tree. The Department [�]

Taiwan donates more medical equipment to Belize
"Taiwan's staunch support for the medical services providers and first responders of Belize are unwavering [�]

Belize Hotel Association donates chicken to staff members affected by COVID-19
This week, the Belize Hotel Association donated chicken to staff members affected by COVID-19. The [�]

PSU: Government can cut from its 'exorbitant' expenditure on vehicles and fuel
The Public Service Union (PSU) has shared details of a cost savings report from 2018 [�]

Blogs

Beautiful Belize Cookbook: A Great Way to Support the Island We LOVE
Have you been fiddling around with sourdough baking and cereal pancakes (the WEIRD/stupid new Instgram trend)? Well STOP IT! Now you can make Belizean Black Soup or Stewed Beans or Coconut Bean Garnaches or even MY banana bread while you flip through over 100 GORGEOUS photos of Ambergris Caye. Foods that will take you back to your last trip to Belize�recipes and photos to tide you over until you can get here. AND ALL PROCEEDS GO TO MARESHA REID'S MASSIVE EFFORT (The San Pedro Hot Lunch Program) TO MAKE GREAT FOOD FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT.

Belize - One Month COVID19 Free
Today, Belize has officially gone over 30 days without reporting a new cases. Additionally, approximately 6 weeks after reporting its first COVID-19 infection, Belize officially confirms there are no active coronavirus cases. With a new travel update, Belize reopens domestic travel while tentatively planning for international arrivals. As of May 5, 2020, the remaining 2 active cases in Belize have fully recovered. Belize registered 2 deaths from COVID-19 and 18 total cases, with April 13 being the last reported spike (+4 cases). Neighboring countries like Guatemala and Mexico continue to report new cases, so Belize must continue to exercise all preventative measures.

International Museum Day to be held on May 18TH, 2020
International Museum Day is an international day held annually on May 18TH of each year. The event highlights a specific theme that changes every year to reflect the basis of the international museum community's preoccupations. In Corozal, Corozal District, Belize, the Corozal House of Culture held's there Annual International Museum Day inside the Corozal House Of Culture. The Museum each year is celebrated with a different Theme, and, Corozal schools participate each year to attend this International Museum Day. Due, to the COVID-19 this year, there will be no event celebrated inside the Museum.

International Sourcesizz

Mexican Nationals Flee Belize Quarantine Center
Police believe that three Mexican nationals who had escaped from a quarantine center as they awaited trial for illegally entering the country, may have returned to their homeland. "We believe by now they may have gone back across the border but we are still in the area looking to see if they will be recaptured," Police Commissioner Chester Williams told reporters. The Mexicans had been caught in the area of Bacalar Chico on Thursday by the Coast Guard and handed over to police.

Videos

• Allegro Music School - Brighter Days, 1min. Uplifting duet from Tessa Ayala and Tanya Kornleson! #BelizeFestivalofArts

• Curious pufferfish is adorable but extremely deadly to predators, 1min. This adorable little fellow was swimming around the crevices on a coral head in Belize when he spotted a shiny underwater camera that was held motionless. He decided to approach and gaze right into the camera to see what it was all about. Inquisitive and unconcerned with the diver, he provided quite a show and some very interesting closeup footage.

• TAKE A LOOK AT THE WONDERFUL CHARITY WORK FROM THE CAYE CAULKER SOUP KITCHEN, 4min. A news clip from the Voice of Caye Caulker featuring our Soup Kitchen

• Reflections on Belize, min.

• Peter Lawrence on ReefTV, 4min. REFLECTIONS / BELIZE is a fresh look back on an amazing trip to Cayo Frances Farm and Fly in Belize also known as the Bote House. We relive the experience and show unseen footage of this amazing adventure. Many thanks go out to the staff and the owner Jeff for be such gracious hosts during our stay. There is no doubt that we will be heading back very soon!

• Ocean Academy thanks the Tech Community, 4.5min.

• Belize Barrier Reef - Cinematic, 1min.

• Belize Black Dinner by 10 year old, Alissa, 6min. Chirmole or Relleno Negro also known as Belizean Black dinner recipe done by Alissa and her mom. This is a black colored soup with so much flavor and seasoning of Mayan and Mestizo roots but enjoyed by all Belizeans!

• Fish & Dive for Lobster in Belize, 2.5min.

• Invisible Threads: A Love Letter to Belize, 4min. Invisible Threads is a visual retelling of my experiences while living in Belize for three months. I'm excited and a little nervous to share this with the world because it feels like my baby. My intention is to convey the raw and honest beauty of the sights and sounds of this country.

• Sailing in Belize on a Bareboat Charter: Part 1, 3min. This is part 1 of a 7 part series from a sailing trip in Belize. Sailing from the Moorings base in Placencia. I chartered a 42-foot monohull and acted as skipper with my good friends Michael as chef and Scott as first mate. This was my 4th time charter with the Moorings in Belize and I am look forward to going again.

• How it feels like flying with Tropic Air Belize-Guatemala, 1.5min. A flight with Tropic Air Belize-Guatemala, the tiny airplane that occupies 14 passengers, but there were just four passengers instead.

• What To See and Do in Belize, 6.5min. Located in the Central American region near the Caribbean Sea, Belize has plenty of sights and activities to offer. I've also gone to explore Caye Caulker from north to south. Then went to a few which I thought could be interesting! It can be expensive in some and your expenses can add up quickly but everything you do here, is all worth the fun!

• Blue Hole BELIZE 1994, 7.5min.

• TOP 3 FISHING KNOTS EVERY FISHERMEN SHOULD KNOW | TEAM JRUBIO, 4min. THIS ARE THE BEST FISHING KNOTS EVERY FISHERMEN SHOULD KNOW, IT IS EASY, QUICK AND STRONG.

• Hands Across the Sand, 1min. In Belize, Wavemakers from the St. Ignatius High School Environmental Club are showing us how much they love the environment and why they think it's worth protecting.

• Inga Alley Cropping - Climate Smart Farming - Ya'axch� Conservation Trust, Belize, 13min. Inga alley cropping protects and builds fertile soils. Farmers plant inga alleys and use its broad leaves to create mulch on the ground to retain humidity. Before plant crops such as beans or peppers, the inga is pruned at chest height for it to release nitrogen into the soil. Quality and delicious crops have been harvested by the MGL farmers practicing climate smart farming strategies such as planting inga edulis.