Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just E Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm about to embark on my first visit to Belize/AC and have to say this is a great message board. I've learned a lot and feel like I know many of you already!

My questions are regarding $$. I've read that there are not ATMs on the island that accept US ATM cards. Is this still the case? Should I just plan on traveller's checks?
I'll be there for a month (yipee!) and just want to plan accordingly.

Next, I just wanted to hear thoughts on travelling alone as a woman. From reading some of the recent posts, I think it sounds fine, but would love any tips!

Thanks! Can't wait to get there!

Bring traveller's cheques.

I've spent longish periods of time on the island alone and felt great. I can't speak to travelling about the rest of the country though lots of other women have done and seem to have no problems at all.

Seems to me that this is a great country for women travelling alone. Just watch out for the land sharks. wink

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Suggest you bring US cash in small denominations, travellers cheques in small denominations, and credit cards as a backup.

Have a great trip.

Jim

**Jim
S
S
Yes, bring travellers checques. Cash them at one of the money exchanges on front street - you'll get approximately 2.05 BZ dollar for 1 US dollar - so you'll pick up a little free conversion.

G
G
Just E I have traveled to SP 8 times by myself (solo woman traveler) and never encountered any problems. It's easy to meet other tourists (you didn't say where you're staying, I always meet people when staying at Ruby's) and if you snorkel/dive/fish it's easy to make friends with the locals also.

Just E Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your input! I'll definitely follow all your advice about traveller's checks/cash/credit cards. And I feel confident that I will be comfortable on my own there!

I'll be staying at the Hideaway, which I know is not as centrally located as Ruby's but the month-long rental deal was better at the Hideaway. I hope to still meet lots of people (and I'll definitely watch out for the land sharks! wink )

E
E
JUST E, When are you going?

Just E Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll be arriving January 8th!

Another question: do I need to book my flight from B.C. to A.C. in advance? Or do I just buy a ticket after I land?
(I'm trying to let go of being the uptight city girl who plans everything in advance and start being the relaxed island girl!)

E
E
You can do either. Check out Tropic and or Maya Island. I just go to the counter with the shortest line. They run about every hour. If you have to wait, go to the departure area and spend some time with Jet. You can't miss him.

D
D
just got back from my first trip to ac had the same questions as you. no probs getting flight to sp just go to the tropic or mayan air desk and buy your ticket the planes go every hour. the banks on middle street are open every morning and will give you money on your credit card there are no atms they make a small charge. very jealous you will have an amazing time its lovely the5re

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,036
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.