Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79618 02/04/04 03:19 PM
C
C
Well, some of us (me, specifically) have never driven in a country which has been described to me in the fashion that Belize roads have been described. I have received most of my information from several tourism books and the message board. I rarely try any adventure (especially with my two daughters in tow) with out thoroughly researching my destination/travel plans heavily in the first instance) I appreciate your candor and insight concerning the ruins located in Caracol. I utilzed a tour/guide while in Egypt, and found it constricting. However, from what info I have been able to gather, It seems that many of the roads are a difficult trek. I want to be informed and well prepared. Hence, my postings! Do you have any other info on my proposed trip? (BC to Caracol) ANy suggestions on vehicle rentals. I am happy to see that someone recommends making the drive - as I would like to do so. Should I stay elsewhere (closer to Caracol) the night prior? It looks as though I had better plan for an extra day. What is the max speed that one could expect to travel on those specific roads? I may sound ignorant (concerning this topic) - and that is because I am!

Originally posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First:
WHERE do folks read stuff like "I would like to do the drive myself but have read that it is not entirely safe to do so without a guide/tour." Goodness. Thousands of people each year rent cars in Belize and drive all over country. (I've been doing it for over 13 years.) Roads are generally pretty well marked and the main roads (Western, Northern, Hummingbird and Southern highways) are paved and in good to excellent condition.

Caracol is one of the most interesting historical sites in all of Central America. A thousand years ago, it rivaled Tikal in importance, a city-state of more than 150,000 people, with sophisticated building techniques and a wide-ranging knowledge of mathematics, architecture and astronomy (at a time when Europeans were still struggling to emerge from the Dark Ages). The trip there is half the fun. The unpaved road through the Mountain Pine Ridge and on to Caracol is in generally good condition, though after heavy rains it does get a bit dicey.

--Lan Sluder

#79619 02/04/04 03:53 PM
Cheri asked: Have you (or nayone else) heard of Brianna's Beach House??) supposedly a 7 mile walk from SP and it looks great on line. I have written to Cayemanagement.com to ask more about the place? It is a rental. Safe area??

Reply: Brianna's Beach House is just on the northern edge of town. It is not a 7 mile walk from SP, not even a 7 minute walk. smile It is a safe area.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#79620 02/04/04 11:33 PM
Cheri, there are some great maps on this site that will help you with your trip planning. Click on Home above, where you'll find a link to a map of AC with the location of most hotels, and also a map of Belize showing the location of the ruins and other places of interest. There are a couple of ruins that can be visited on a day trip from AC, but I haven't been to them so can't offer comparisons.

Another forum that's helpful for mainland info is http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
It's a discussion board for all of Belize, and there are links to lodging which you can browse by location. Once you have an idea of what you want to see and where you might want to stay, use the search function on both message boards to find info related to your choices. The BelizeForum has a section devoted to travelogues which is a good place to start your research. And there's a section for travel w/in Belize which has many discussions about car rentals and driving.

Good luck with your research.
smile Janet

#79621 02/05/04 08:07 PM
C
C
Janet, thank you so much for your help. As I said, I am in the initial stages of planning this trip and things seem to be slowly I will take a look at all of the info/sites that you you recommended. I am having no trouble with finding places to stay near SP, but maps and vehicle rentals and indepth info on the various ruins have been a little more difficult. Thank you once again!
Cheri

Originally posted by JanetBoston:
Cheri, there are some great maps on this site that will help you with your trip planning. Click on Home above, where you'll find a link to a map of AC with the location of most hotels, and also a map of Belize showing the location of the ruins and other places of interest. There are a couple of ruins that can be visited on a day trip from AC, but I haven't been to them so can't offer comparisons.

Another forum that's helpful for mainland info is http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
It's a discussion board for all of Belize, and there are links to lodging which you can browse by location. Once you have an idea of what you want to see and where you might want to stay, use the search function on both message boards to find info related to your choices. The BelizeForum has a section devoted to travelogues which is a good place to start your research. And there's a section for travel w/in Belize which has many discussions about car rentals and driving.

Good luck with your research.
smile Janet

#79622 02/05/04 08:30 PM
Cheri,

Belmopan isn't a major city! It's a town of about 8,500 people. Through a quirk of history and hurricanes, it became the capital.

--Lan Sluder <I've probably written some of those guidebooks you've been reading -- Fodor's & a half dozen others -- but I apologize if I made it seem like Belmopan was a major city!>

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#79623 02/05/04 08:47 PM
Lan-if Belmopan was situated on Mars it would be the biggest city on that planet-on the other hand I have seen bigger villages and certainly ones with more going on than what happens in our capital city.

#79624 02/08/04 05:14 PM
Cheri asked: Does anyone know about Brianna's Beach House?

Yep - just spent a week there. It's a great little house right on the beach. Quiet neighborhood - a pleasant stroll to town and to the cut. Comfortable for 2-4 people. They say it can accommodate 6 with the sofa bed, but it would be awfully close. Maid service every two days. Delightful place to spend time - Jumping Frijoles Bar at the Tides Hotel a couple of doors away is a pleasant place to have a cocktail and enjoy the ocean breeze - and Butch will look after you well.

#79625 02/11/04 02:19 PM
C
C
Great! I am just about ready to rent the place, but I had some hesitation because I am travelling with my two college age daughetrs and really want them to have a good time. I have looked into Ramons because it seems very 'active'. Is the house right on the water? It looks as though it is a stone throw away from the porch. How are the neighbors? Is is terribly quiet?
Also, most of the travel books state that May is the rainy season. My girls are sun bathing fanatics but I am convinced that I will get them out on a dive and to the ruins!! Is May always rainy or is it a hit or miss thing? Thanks a bunch!
r o
Originally posted by California Girl:
Cheri asked: Does anyone know about Brianna's Beach House?

Yep - just spent a week there. It's a great little house right on the beach. Quiet neighborhood - a pleasant stroll to town and to the cut. Comfortable for 2-4 people. They say it can accommodate 6 with the sofa bed, but it would be awfully close. Maid service every two days. Delightful place to spend time - Jumping Frijoles Bar at the Tides Hotel a couple of doors away is a pleasant place to have a cocktail and enjoy the ocean breeze - and Butch will look after you well.

#79626 02/11/04 04:59 PM
P
P
Cheri,

Brianna's is a great place for you and your daughters to rent. Remember it is close enough to go find the noise and action when you and your girls want it; yet quiet and peaceful when you come home after a mere 10 minute stroll. Close to two supermarkets, Papis Dinner, Popular Bakery, Jumping Frijoles Bar at the Tides, Patojo's Scuba Center for diving and Snorkel trips. It is right on a great beach and May is probably one of the finest months of the year to visit San Pedro. What more could you ask for?
I know all this to be true as Brianna's is two doors from where I live!

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,031
Members20,471
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.