Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#89238 07/08/04 10:23 AM
Positive replies generally are readily accepted.

Lesson in 'SanPedro 101', it will all work out.
We all have an off day

You'll do fine, keep reading.... smile

#89239 07/08/04 10:30 AM
O
okie Offline OP
OP Offline
O
About the lady getting bit. Guide was holding shark, trying to get another snorkler to touch it. This lady reached out fom the front, the water distorted the distance and she was bitten. I should not have titled topic shark ATTACK. Just thought it was a coincidence that they were from OK. Still "liven' the dream". I realize this isn't an aquarium. Thrilled by the adventure.
Also, sorry stuff got stolen, definately realize it is our own fault.
Off to discover more!!!

#89240 07/08/04 10:32 AM
N
N
thanks again NYgal! I hope to meet people like you while there!

#89241 07/08/04 11:09 AM
M
M
Dear Okie

Sorry to hear your stuff walked away. Apparently there has been in influx of unemployed young people on the Island lately. The Chamber of Commerce and the security at various resorts are working on this, developing a radio net connecting every one. The police have been pretty good, actually apprehending people -- so different from our experiences living many years in NYC.

On the other side of the coin, we rent out our villa, and, from time to time, we have to replace things that wandered off with our guests. We're bringing down a beach towel and will have to replace a couple of coffee makers when we get there in the second half of July.

AC still seems pretty wonderful to us, especially the people.

Mike Ryan

#89242 07/08/04 12:57 PM
G
G
Hmmm. Most shark attacks occur ON the island. Not in the water. eek

#89243 07/08/04 01:01 PM
This is a fine example of one reason why it is not good practice to manhandle the sea creatures.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#89244 07/08/04 01:50 PM
First let me say I'm all for medication .... especially the HERBAL kind!!!!!!

I too feel your pain.

Now! Last year while my wife and I were there my laundry was stolen. The deliverer didn't put the laundry in our room because we were napping. They left it on the chair in front of the room. When we got up to go on our night dive I noticed the laundry there after I had locked the room and put away the key, so I decided to leave it until after the dive. MY MISTAKE! I have learned from that. It has not detered me in the least about AC and Belize. Crime is everywhere!!!

As for the animals. Your own pet, no mater how domesticated, could turn and bite you. Just use common sense, you wouldn't stick your hand into a Lion's cage. Even the most cautious people sometimes get it!!!

Paradise is still Paradise to me!!!!! smile

One Barrel and Sprite.....It doesn't get any better than that!
#89245 07/08/04 02:29 PM
Is it just me? confused I thought common sense :rolleyes: says you don't stick your hand in any animals face. Sorry she got a bite but animals should be respected. After all, they can be unpredictable.

Theft: had a regular routine...wet things on the line first thing in the morning...take inside before leaving...put back outside upon return...take inside before bedtime...

Was amazed the neighbors dive suit wasn't taken. It was outside for 2 days.

#89246 07/08/04 07:53 PM
I wish this thread would have been called "Shark Abuse" because that's what it sounds like. I have been on many dives where the divemaster takes chum along to attract fish, and these are never enjoyable dives for me. I have asked the divemaster to either exclude me from those feeding frenzies or not take the food along so we can all be respectful of the underwater sea life. From the pictures that are posted at Hol Chan and other snorkel sites, it appears that there is a feeding frenzy of sharks, so of course they're all worked up. I would prefer that nobody touch the sea life and we all just enjoy each other's boundaries. But, it ain't my playground, so I only get to call the shots when I'm paying. Looking forward to a peaceful coexistence with sharks next week. Sam

#89247 07/09/04 06:42 AM
C
C
Animal handling 101 do not stick your hand near a domestic animal's mouth..........to say nothing about a shark's. I thought a shark attack was when a shark attacked a swimmer or surfer, not when you stick your hand in ones mouth and get bit. Next thing you know people will be sticking there hands in barracuda and moray eels mouths.
I agree with Sam Scuba, observe them and let them live their normal lives. To me, feeding wild animals only makes them welfare animals.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.