Abandoned sugar mill near the arceological site of Lamanai
The remains of a Sugar Mill that was built by the British in the 1860's. This is the famous Lamanai Sugar Mill, built in the 19th century. British landowners brought in enslaved people and later indentured labourers from China to work at the Sugar Mill. There is archaeological evidence of British settlement at Lamanai (not far from where this pic was taken).
The bricks are London Yellow and Red bricks which were brought in the Sail boats which were used later to build, Government Buildings, Churches and in this case a Sugar Mill. Built on lands that belonged to The company which was known as the Hyde and Hodge company later changed name to the British Honduras Company and later became the Belize Estate and Produce company.
The Sugar Mill is located at Lamanai Archaeological Site. The Tree is known as a Strangler Fig of the Ficus plant family. The Birds/mammals would eat the fruit of the fig and they would poop on top of the Sugar Mill and the seed germinate and through the years the plant grew on top of the Mill to the size where it is today.
This building has been restored since the site opened. There are also 2 Spanish colonial churches at the site.
Photograph by courtesy Margie Quan
Click here to comment on this picture.