Looking down on a dolphin near the boat
The Atlantic Bottle-nose Dolphin is the most common dolphin species found in Belize and here are a few facts about these intelligent creatures:
1) They are mammals who swim to the surface of the water to breathe.
2) They have acute eyesight both in and out of the water.
3) They hear frequencies 10 times the upper limit of adult humans.
4) Their sense of touch is well-developed, but they have no sense of smell.
5) With few natural enemies, humans are actually their main threat.
Pollution, fishing and hunting puts dolphins at harm daily.
Photograph courtesy Belize Sailing Vacations
Click here to comment on this picture.