Diane is right about a soils engineer and architect. On Caye Caulker because it is a village the building permit and the activity of building is different than on SP. SP is a town and they have extensive building permits and required sets of architectural building plans. These were not required on CC when I started building and my guess that is the same for Dane as well. The are several drawbacks regarding building over time, the biggest is that any rebar left exposed will begin to detriorate from rust. Just putting in the foundation you will need to expose a couple of feet of rebar so that the columns can be tied to them. This is the same in the States, Europe and Africa. I have worked in all three places as an architect and an a residential contractor in the States. Its not so easy to just go to a place and start building your dream house. Many people in SP and CC have started building projects without having a good set of engineered drawings and architectural drawings. Best to start with these then proceed to finding a good contractor. Many contractors will build for you in the manner you want, e.i. over time and in stages. But then you should stick with the same contractor because once you switch the new contractor will most likely find many faults with the previous work and will refuse to take liability. Good luck with your house.