Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Actually, the doctors are systematically "volunteered" by Castro and his ilk to go to Belize for two years. They are separated from home and family in Cuba, making it a bigger shame that they don't even have anything to at least practice their skill with in Belize. But, as people, the one I've known is a great guy trying his best to do what he can with what he's been given. There are also nurses from Cuba in Belize on the same program.

There are excess doctors in Cuba having been educated by their gov't with not enough jobs to go to there. Still, no matter how they have come to Belize they have a valuable skill to give and the system they've come to is almost as bad as the one they left in terms of how it provides for them to practice their craft.

We have so much at our disposal in the US that to turn away from this need is really arrogant.

D
D
It is very sad to hear of such dreadful conditions for both the prisoners and the doctor trying to take care of them. frown We will be coming to Belize in a few weeks and will be on CA and on Caye Caulker. I see one of your websites is about Caye Caulker. Is there somewhere we can drop stuff off? Do you know what might be most needed? I'll hit Costco before we come and get some giant sized products to bring down. Good luck and I hope others reading your post will be inspired to help. smile

OP Offline
If you are on Caye Caulker you can drop the supplies off at Caribbean Colors Art Gallery, located on Front Street just south of the main water taxi peir, next to Habaneros Restaurant. Or, you can call me at 206-0206 and I'll arrange to pick them up.
Thanks, smile
Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com

D
D
Can you ask the good Doctor what might be MOST needed in the way of over-the-counter type products?

OP Offline
O.K., got that answer, he says, triple antibiotic cream and anti-fungal cream.
Thanks, smile
Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com

What form of sterilization is at hand for the prison? Also, I have access to sutures that I can donate.

G
G
Right on Silk Painter-- do the people on this board actually think that just because someone is in prison they are guilty? Even if they are, for some petty thing does that mean they cannot have access to a bandaid? In the U.S. we pay $30,ooo a year for convicted murderers on death row and some of you have the audacity to question the right to proper medical treatment. As for Rick & Cheri's comment that "the prisoners are the ones that make Belize unsafe", that is ridiculous! Poverty and trying to make aliving or addictions or jealousy is what can make Belize unsafe.
FYI- last year there were several news reports about Cuban doctors who wanted to stay past their 2 year assignment and married Belizeans. The doctor at the hospital needs some supplies, can't we just treat all people like the people they are?
I cannot believe som these replies!

L
L
Silk Painter, If you will send me a list of needed supplies will try to bring them when we come home in Dec. Husband is a surgeon and we have a lot of suture etc. we use for medical teams. Them list can have other supplies as well. Does he have any particular sutures he would like? Might add we are looking for donations of body bags for San Pedro. Really are in need of these. Contact me at [email protected].

R.B. Mernitz
Sorry, can't help myself. I have new eye glasses today, but did I read, you want us to donate "body bags" for San Pedro, NOW?

Forgive, but I fell off my chair laughing, sorry I know it is not funny, but hit me that way.
But I am pondering, why? What happened, why is there a shortage?

Normally I am user friendly, but I fell apart.

This could be used to add a new verse to "Gringo in Belize" song.

Dare To Deviate
L
L
sorry about that!!!Does look pretty funny at that, but seriously,When we have a death occurs on the island body bags are in short supply.

R.B. Mernitz
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.