Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
L
Yeah, I have always wanted to see the guys with the white wigs in court.

Kreh - may I ask why you became one? LOL My first choice was a veternarian, but decided surgery is not my thing.

L
L
After being in this crazy profession and a member of the California Bar for about 10 years, I definitely have earned the right to pass over to the "other bar". LOL

In Belize the Poor man is defended by himself(a fool) and rich defended by Barrister.
In some states, like Wisconsin, the mandatory membership requirement is implemented through an order of the state supreme court. California went farther than any other state and wrote the State Bar of California into its constitution. So now the State can dictate rules to California Lawyers, and they seem to be saying 'be fair'

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I passed the bar 24 years ago and have rarely passed one since!! grin

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Sorry Leah-Ann, Was that harsh? crazy

White Sands Dive Shop
OP Offline
Thanks All!! Plenty of interesting perspectives here, and, of course, some of what was to be expected. At least Jesse deleted his! LOL!

LaurieMar, Senate Bill 686 proposes adding Section 6073 to Business and Professions Code as follows:

"It has been the tradition of those learned in the law and licensed to practice law in this state to provide voluntary pro bono legal services to those who cannot afford the help of a lawyer. Every lawyer authorized and privileged to practice law in California is expected to make a contribution. In some circumstances, it may not be feasible for a lawyer to directly provide pro bono services. In those circumstances, a lawyer may instead fulfill his or her individual pro bono ethical commitment, in part, by providing financial support to organizations providing free legal services to persons of limited means...."

The proposed legislation was drafted by Sacramento Assembly member Dave Jones, D-Sacramento, who was a former legal aid attorney.

Seachange, you are correct, "expected" is a rather loose term; my fear is that it begins a slide down a slippery slope which ends only when it bottoms out at the "requirement" level.

KC: I agree with your assessment - who else is expected to do this? Because attorneys are "privileged" to practice law, we are "expected" to make a contribution, and that contribution is an "ethical commitment." No other professionals (CPAs, physicians, dentists, contractors, engineers, pest inspectors, etc.), licensed and "privileged" to ply their trade in California, are "expected" to work for free.

Seems to me that a piece of legislation which would attempt to single out attorneys for this kind of disparate treatment is nothing more than another form of lawyer bashing. I really just don't get it.

BiIl, your comments are interesting as well. It appears that large firms would be permitted to buy their way out of pro bono service. So the rich, high-powered law firms get a tax writeoff and the struggling sole practioner has to work!

Bobber's comment, "What is it they say on TV? You have the right to an attorney, and if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to represent you (from a pool of lawyers who are pi**ed off that they have to do it free, knowing that you are probably guilty)." As someone whose practice consists almost entirely of criminal defense work, this is, to me, an example of the kind of basic misunderstanding of how the legal system works which contributes to the negative stereotype Dogmatic mentions. Pro Bono work does not include criminal defense. Criminal defendants are entitled, via the United States Constitution, to a number of rights, one of which is the right to legal representation. In almost every state this representation is provided at taxpayer expense through the office of the public defender. I can't say that I know of a single criminal defense attorney who is "pi**ed off" at "having" to represent a client "they know is probably guilty." Initially, criminal cases are rarely about factual guilt or innocence. Rather, it is defense counsel's duty to ensure that the prosecution and the police and the judge and the jury followed the rules and complied with all legal requirements. By way of example: by ensuring that prosecutors don't charge minority defendants with more or harsher crimes, or that cops don't enter a residence and search everything and everyone on a whim without first obtaining a search warrant, or that the judge follows the law and requires that jurors do the same, defense counsel help ensure that the criminal justice system works effectively for everyone - the innocent and the guilty. Those are rights which apply to every U.S. citizen and I consider it a privilege to work every day to protect them.

Elbert, I didn't see anything harsh in your comments. Can say I've seen Belize's justice system in action and have a couple of friends who practice law there. Based on observations and conversations, I wouldn't trade the U.S.'s system for Belize's any day of the week!

Reaper, I'll be paying on those student loans for a good long while. I know what my legal education cost and can guess at the cost of your wife's. Still, I also know what kind of money we make and how that compares to the income of most of the rest of the U.S., not to mention most of the rest of the world. So, I'm not looking for a tax break - as always, I just wish my taxes were better spent.

Finally, Jesse, with respect to your deleted comment that there are too many lawyers: like most things it's a matter of supply and demand. We wouldn't be in business if you people didn't keep hiring us! The rest of your comment doesn't warrant comment.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
S
S
"Lyar" is the Belizean pronunciation of Lawyer....as "Harse" is the pronunciation for Horse.

Life is indeed a bitch.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Wouldn't want to trade either, were much funnier to watch.
great thread Leah Ann
thanks

White Sands Dive Shop
L
L
Very interesting comments.

No student loans here, had generous parents, but I know the major sacrifices I went through and the long years of studying, not to mention the Bar Exam, which by all accounts, California has the most grueling 3 day exam in the United States. Just like any other profession, takes a huge investment of time, commitment and money. Lawyer bashing? That is so old. Doesn't everybody need one at one time or another?

"We wouldn't be in business if you people didn't keep hiring us!" Gotta love that. That said, I doubt this bill will ever see the light of day.

No, dog: life is indeed a beach - wish I was sitting on one right now somewhere down Belize way!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,034
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.