Looking for Bonefish / Snook information
My wife and I are going to be staying on AC the first week of June 08 and would like any information I can get on tactics, guides and areas to fish for bonefish and Snook. I am an avid fresh water angler but have no real good idea how to fish for Bonefish or Snook. I have some basic questions to ask so if anyone would like to respond. Your information will be much appreciated.
1. I plan to brining my own spinning rod, reel and terminal tackle so I have that much covered. What I need to know is what would be the best selection of baits to bring for Bonefish and Snook? I have read what AC.com has suggested so I have some idea but I would like to know if there is 2 or 3 baits that are a must? If I can not get them here at home before I leave can they be purchased at the local bait shop in AC?
2. I would like to hire a guide for a couple of days so I can get used to the area and tactics. After that (time permitting) I would like to set out on my own if possible. Is it possible to get to the flats fishing areas from shore on foot? If so, where on the caye would be good jumping off points? I will be staying north of the river for sure but how far north is yet to be decided. Is it possible to have a water taxis take me to a dock close to the good fishing areas and drop me off? Or, can I get a golf cart / bike to these areas?
3. Who are some of the better local guides and how far in advance do I need to book one of them? Also, any contact information would be great.
4. Are the lagoons off limits to wade? Are they the best areas to find Snook?
5. Clothing? I have to assume that shoes are a must so will tennis shoes be good enough or should I get a pair of wadding shoes? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the color of clothing?
6. Sunglasses? What color lenses are the best?
7. Are there any web sites I can go to and find good maps of AC and the sounding waters (Navigation type)?
I hope to have a great experience in AC. Thank you very much.