Next Thread
Print Thread
#266708 02/07/08 11:44 AM
D
Deputy Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Looking for Bonefish / Snook information

My wife and I are going to be staying on AC the first week of June 08 and would like any information I can get on tactics, guides and areas to fish for bonefish and Snook. I am an avid fresh water angler but have no real good idea how to fish for Bonefish or Snook. I have some basic questions to ask so if anyone would like to respond. Your information will be much appreciated.

1. I plan to brining my own spinning rod, reel and terminal tackle so I have that much covered. What I need to know is what would be the best selection of baits to bring for Bonefish and Snook? I have read what AC.com has suggested so I have some idea but I would like to know if there is 2 or 3 baits that are a must? If I can not get them here at home before I leave can they be purchased at the local bait shop in AC?

2. I would like to hire a guide for a couple of days so I can get used to the area and tactics. After that (time permitting) I would like to set out on my own if possible. Is it possible to get to the flats fishing areas from shore on foot? If so, where on the caye would be good jumping off points? I will be staying north of the river for sure but how far north is yet to be decided. Is it possible to have a water taxis take me to a dock close to the good fishing areas and drop me off? Or, can I get a golf cart / bike to these areas?

3. Who are some of the better local guides and how far in advance do I need to book one of them? Also, any contact information would be great.

4. Are the lagoons off limits to wade? Are they the best areas to find Snook?

5. Clothing? I have to assume that shoes are a must so will tennis shoes be good enough or should I get a pair of wadding shoes? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the color of clothing?

6. Sunglasses? What color lenses are the best?

7. Are there any web sites I can go to and find good maps of AC and the sounding waters (Navigation type)?

I hope to have a great experience in AC. Thank you very much.

Deputy

Deputy
check //ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishbonefish.html
&
//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishsnook.html

for general information....
maps online at //ambergriscaye.com/maps/

others are better fishermen than i, as i am just the nerd, so i'll let them answer the specific questions....

Marty - great information. I've been on here a lot looking for fishing advice and all I've seen has been absolutely the best. My wife & I will be there starting the 15th and plan to do a substantial amount of fishing wading, off a sea kayak and a catamaran.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.
Deputy go to fishingsanpedro.com steve is my buddy and books and brokers for ten local guides , prices are cheap !!! book early a must I would use pete graniel or abel gurrero .two old timmers they will find the bone fish for you !! snook on the other hand might be a challenge !! I have caught lots of snook in the rivers near belize city on mullet and lures trolling !!! See photos on the fishingsanpedro.com web site!!!! but have not caught any the island my self.. there are tons of bone fish here there all you want.. And some snook in the mangegroves and in the back part of the island.. you can fish for bone fish from shore up north or way south in the flats are good .there is a tackel store two of them in town capt sharks the one by the beach will help you with any bait or tackel questions you have it is in front of wet willys bar right on the beach ask any body to steer you there..tight lines to you and good fishing ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
libbiran will be down feb 17 to the 23 I fish here once a month give me a call we will chat fishing ..my cell in belize 600 9650 ...

Living The Dream Every Day!
captjeff - your number's in my book. Thanks, will talk with you then.
Brian

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.