Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#275456 04/05/08 11:47 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from the Chamber of Commerce...

Dr. Wil Lala accepted the challenge of being the Chairman of the Chamber's committee to provide trash bins throughout the island. Dr. Lala has met with the Town to approve the type of receptacle, and has begun the ordering process.

The Town has agreed to provide $6,000 towards the project, the Chamber of Commerce at its Executive Board meeting approved donating $3,000, and the San Pedro Business Association will be meeting to consider a contribution of $3,000, which would complete the estimated $12,000 that Dr. Lala has determined needed to fund this project.

Plans are to construct 100 barrels with stands to be placed along the beach and roads. The wooden stands will be the framework that the Chamber used 4 years ago, but with bamboo added around the sides. Most of the bins will hold half-barrels (for easier lifting) and a wooden cover with a disposal slot.

These bins in Town Proper will be serviced by the Town Council. The containers will be available for purchase by resorts and individuals outside of Town, at an expected cost of $150 per unit. With community participation we are hoping to be able to get bins placed along the beaches and roads both North and South of town.

Anyone that would like to donate a receptacle to the Library, Schools, Parks, or any other worthy area is welcome to send their request and donation to the Chamber of Commerce.

Dr. Lala plans to order the materials, and Todd Beblow of Segway will provide delivery and transportation. Dr. Lala will then pre-cut and drill the frames. Once competed, we plan to have a volunteer "Construction Day" to assemble the bins.

We are asking that all resorts and businesses along the beach consider obtaining and servicing at least one in front of their resort. Private landowners are welcome to participate

Marty #275460 04/05/08 12:11 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
The prospect of these things being delivered by Segway is intriguing.

#275461 04/05/08 12:13 PM
S
S
Todd has other vehicles.

Sounds like a good idea, Attractive useful bins with decent capacity, Unlike those smaller orange bins that are around town. And priced right to entice Resorts to purchase them also.

I'd sure like to see one on the beach corner of Fidos and Mayan.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
S
$150 and its done!!!

J
J
I'm curious as to who's going to empty these things. Obviously, if a resort owner buys one, they'll be responsible. But, how about the ones in town????

JeanH #275595 04/07/08 08:03 AM
Out around Spanish Lookout, BNE put up large trash barrels evrywhere. Witing to see how it works out for them, someone has to empty them when they get full, or someone staels the barrels themselves.

Jesse, I'll seriously consider it. However, I note that the write up says "any other worthy area is welcome to send their request and donation to the Chamber of Commerce". If I were to put up for my chosen spot, I'd like to be sure to see the receptacle there when next I'm in SP. Also, because of the location I'd like to see the receptacle, I'd have to consult with my friends at the Mayan to make sure they are on board. They have a lot of traffic to contend with at that particular beach corner. (which, of course, is why it's an ideal site for a receptacle, but perhaps not an ideal site for maintenance)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

O
O

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.