Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Scubaldy.....I'll ask the same question....what prices are you referring to??

Seawings.....you better stop by and see me when you get here....email me before you come. I wont be back tillaround the 7th of Jan. Hope you'll still be here. [Linked Image]

J
J
Check outthe web site of White Sands Cove. It is about 2 mi. N of SP. It is very, very nice. It is walking distance to the Capricorn, Captain Morgans & a little bit further is the Journeys End. Also a short walk on the gold cart trail to Palapa Lapa. Water taxi goes right by on schedule or catch water taxi anytime you call. Can get pick up service from any of the dive, snorkel & fising outfits. They have a new swimming pool. Very private & away from the world. I spent 10 weeks there last year & going back in a couple of months.

S
SBW Offline
S
Hit this link....about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the picture there appears to be a break in the reef and a relatively deep draft area of the lagoon that runs from reef to shore of AC...is this a correct observation and if so where is that little headland that is even with the lagoon relative to Basil Jones....is there a name for that part of AC ? http://www.belizemall.com/florasol/land4sale.html

I
I
SBW,

That part with the deeper draft is called Robels Point. To the south is Basil Jones. The property for sale appears to be at what is called Rocky Point. Not sure just how deep it is though.

Nice pictue isn't it?

Rick
The pictures are wonderful - I recognize the green outhouse with the red roof. I thought this was on Turneffe Island.
When I was there last Jan. there was a stack of Conch shells at the waters edge and a handful or fishermen -- kinda looked like a camp -- and lots of wooden lobster pots. They were selling sun dried Barracuda and hands bull of fish eggs.
Are you saying that this piece of property is for sale?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Basil Jones, Robles Point and Rocky Point are a long way from Turneffe.

The Basil Jones cut is a deep one.....according to one of the dive guys at Excaliber Tours....about 60 feet in some places.

Still.....tricky to navigate though.
It doesnt stay deep once inside either.
The water is shallow in that area on the inside of the reef.

Not a bad spot for bonefishing......seen several Barracudas too.

I have been told by more than one local boat driver that there are a group of about 3 manatees that have been seen just on the inside of the reef near the cut.

One guy was actually diving and came face to face with one....scared him to death....wasnt expecting it.

I look everytime I go up there....but no luck seeing one as of yet.

S
SBW Offline
S
A great ariel photo of Basil Jones cut...and the deep water that runs from reef to shore http://www.glentree.com/largephoto10.htm

S
SBW Offline
S
And a close up of the previous photo and a little story....
In 1981 I sailed into Belize for the first time,in a 28 foot sailboat with a daggerboard that allowed when in the raised position to navigate in less than 3 feet of water. We sailed from the northern tip of the Yucatan peninsula south into San Pedro stopping at night by sailing through breaks in the reefs and anchoring in the lagoons behind.
We anchored in the Basil Jones deep water on our last night before San Pedro the next day.
This is all from memory so I was a little confused by the wide opening at Basil Jones because I vividly remember crossing at a very narrow opening that opened into a much larger deeper water area...the only area that size between Rocky Point and SP.
If you look at the top of the first photo you will also see in the second photo,the one in this link, a smaller break just north of the larger opening that feeds into a sand bottom channel that then leads to a large coral head and then the sandy channel makes a hard left turn before leading to the lagoon. This tiny break,sandy channel, is where we crossed over and I recall seeing the large coral head directly in our path just as we felt we'd safley crossed over the reef. Once inside and looking back to sea we could see the larger opening which is Basil Jones cut,but the next day upon leaving we exited as we entered. There is little room for error crossing in that manner and in those days no one near by to help,aground on the reef, you if needed. That whole coast was black at night with a only a couple of lighthouses the whole way...Loran was marginal that far south and GPS had not arrived yet...dead reckoning and good seamanship... http://www.glentree.com/largephoto9.htm

[This message has been edited by SBW (edited 12-19-2000).]

M
M
SBW! That must have been a wonderful adventure to sail down to Belize along the Yucatan Coast. Where did you start and how long did it take you? One of these days I would like to take a similar trip on a 30 foot motor cruiser. We don't have the boat yet but we will eventualy buy it. This is a big dream of mine. You should write a book about your sailing trip. I sure would love to read it.

S
SBW Offline
S
I doubt if I will be writing a book but I wish this book had been written before my sail,it would have been helpful on my trip,however the adventure and discovery would have been missing if we were going by the book....you can order it from Amazon or maybe West Marine still carries it...dream on !
Cruising Guide to Northwest Carribean
by Nigel Calder

[This message has been edited by SBW (edited 12-21-2000).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.