Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Nessa #331721 04/07/09 09:51 AM
Fleas and ticks in the tropics are a major problem. Even with Frontline Plus they can still develop tick fever. If you are thinking of bringing dogs to the tropics at a minimum they should already be on heartworm medication for a time, and also Frontline or similar. Then, with regular bathing and diligence in looking for ticks and removing promptly they may escape major problems. If the vet only visits Caulker every 2 weeks, emergency care would require at least a boat ride.

I have never been to Caye Caulker but we moved to San Pedro at the beginning of December and after a bunch of shots and finding an airline that would bring her (Continential) we had our St Bernard join us on Feb 4th. Naturally she dwarfs all but the big guard dogs but we have found no instances of people being afraid of her...they want to fuss her and take her picture but no machete weilding madmen. As Libra said though make sure that you keep your pet on a leash instead of letting it run wild. As far as temperature goes...it isn't much hotter here than it is in summer where we were in Canada and basically a large dog can have a very happy life here hanging out inside sleeping in the day and exploring with you at night...I'm sure that Shmoo (our dog) would write a review of how much she loves the Caribbean breeze and the scents it brings but her paws are too big for the keyboard. Do make sure that your pet has taken heartworm meds though as it is a prevalent problem here as are canine stds so while you want your dog to enjoy him/herself make sure they don't enjoy themselves *too* much lol.
Once again as I said I haven't been in Caye Caulker yet but Im sure that the canine sensibilities can't be that different between there and Ambergris

If we give Peas a chance won't the Lima Beans feel left out ?
Nessa #331885 04/07/09 11:12 PM
C
C
You know youn have these newcombers... they dont understnd the culture..they bring their outside influence in to this country.. it took years to be able to spay and neuter here..Mattie is great for brininging vets here,,but cant give an injection or treatr...stupid people giving bad advice....So bring the3 dogs down ,,aqnd no we have no vets here..but I have meds and boxes of top of line flea and tic treatmeant...tic fever treatnment etc etc........and can get a vet here if you need.and I will stop.. Mattie is great but cant treat a fever<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
L
L
WHAT???

N
Nessa Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Cooper, are you from Minnesota?

seems like Coop here got into said medications before he got to his keyboard.....

"Neutrality, at times, is a greater sin than belligerence" - Brandeis
L
L
People out here won't harm your dog for nothing. Cooper has a big dog, Jack. He is always loose on the streets without a leash and one day he attacked a man. The man feared his life and reacted in self-defense as any "regular human" would. Don't get me wrong...I am not saying that it is ok to harm an animal, but in a case like this, what would you have done??? So to avoid things like this from happening, we ask that pet owners keep their dogs on a leash. For their own safety and for the safety of others. But still this doesn't mean that we walk around the island with a machete in our hands all day just to attack dogs for no reason at all?? What kind of people do you think we are Cooper?? Whackos?? People please don't think of our island as Cooper is portraying it to be. We love animals, hell we have some of our own!! And if you love yours, then you wouldn't leave them behind. We don't have permanent vets on the island, but like I mentioned, they come every 2 weeks. If something should ever happen before that 2 weeks, San Pedro and Belize City are very close by boat. Either way, nothing will happen to your dogs. And about the flea meds not working too good out here; I guess it's because of the humidity and the sand. You just have to give them a bath more often and like Monel mentioned, get them on the heartworm meds. It helps a lot!! Chao!! Oh...and ****Happy Easter**** :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day