Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#357371 11/10/09 07:20 AM
C
OP Offline
C
This is for the divers:
I am thinking of getting my hubby an underwater camera for Christmas, but I was also looking at cameras that take video and still pictures. Most of the video cameras I looked at require some kind of underwater housing, but the underwater cameras do no appear too. Are there any underwater video/still cameras that do not require the housing. Also, are there any recommendations as to your favourite underwater camera?
Thnx in advance!

I just purchased underwater housing for my canon 990, its a point and shoot, uses the built in flash, seems to work ok, and it will do video. The problem with all underwater cameras, (both video and still) is that to get good shots, require lots of addtional light. Depends on how serious (read $$$) you want to be.

The canon990 was around $400us and the housing was $200 us, don't forget the weight kit, and addional $25 us. Check the forums at scubatoys.com for more info

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
The cannon digital in its underwater case with built in flash has given us the best photos on our blog below.
Its simple easy and gives the best results.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I've got a Canon A610 with the Canon underwater case and altho I've never tried the video feature underwater, it works fine above. The underwater pics are very good, but I do miss the big old strobe on my old film unit. One issue I have with the underwater digitals is a problem with using the lcd screen. If you have enough light to take good pics, you can't see the screen well enough to use it,and have to rely on the eyepiece. In that case, I miss the big gunsight on my old unit.
All in all, the digital is much better.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
C
OP Offline
C
thanks for the info and links, folks!! Will check it all out.

You may want to start out as simple as possible and let him move up if he gets into it. It takes good buoyancy control before you start taking pictures. As mentioned above, the Canon's with their own housing are a good way to start. I have invested mega bucks into camera equipment over the years and it gets obsolete fast. Resale on these items are not worth the effort and I would rather keep my stuff as museum pieces than give it away.
My other suggestion is for you two to attend some underwater photo clubs. There are a lot of Underwater Photographic Societies all around the world. Most of the members are very willing to share their knowledge. Had I not joined NCUPS I would have given up in frustration after a short period of time.
Good luck.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
C
OP Offline
C
thnx ScubaLdy--I was thinking simple might be better at first.

I totally agree with Harriette
I've been diving for about 15 years and got into underwater photography about 5 years ago. Uunderwater photography is great fun but can also be so frustrating when you start to add strobes until you really understand the lighting.
Start with something very simple, most of the P&S cameras have something like a "marine mode" but get a good housing. Shoot on this setting in the highest resolution and then have fun playing with the photo in Photoshop to bring out the colors(the basic photoshop elements does a great job with underwater photos as does most other photo manipulation software)
I had a basic Pentax Optio 5 for many years and was very happy with the results. I purchased a Sea and Sea DX 860G Kit about 2 years ago and are very happy with the results although getting used to positioning the strobe is still a work in progress!!

As with any underwater camera you have to take great care of the housing, soak it in fresh water after every dive and make sure the O rings are clean and kept lubricated.
The slighted little piece of sand or hair in the housing will cause flooding.
Camera do not like sea water!!!!
There is a great FREE on line underwater photography magazine available at www.uwpmag.com

Colin

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
P
P
I've just seen the results from a new camera that Rudy (Island Divers) brought back from DEMA. As good as most pictures I've seen from any compact at any price. The complete assembly, camera and housing good for 140ft, sells for just over US$100, and will be part of his shop's regular stock.

Peter
Is the new camera the Goldline Suprema?

Colin

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.