Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
N
These are 2 legislated official languages for the entire country where the USA has one, English. That means all government services etc must be in both languages even down to street signs although Toronto (a 'designated area')does not comply. Most of our larger hospitals, clinics etc. are multilingual as well. Does the Cal. government legislate the use of multiple languages in your health system or is it a matter of need, choice or economics?
On another note, so sorry to hear of your loss Hariette. We remember Miss Kitty stopping in on our patio to say 'Hi' on her way down your stairs and are certainly grateful she wasn't harmed as well. Keep her close. Hope they catch the creep(s).

Hon Offline
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck

Hon, do you live outside the GTA? Have you ever lived in northern Ontario and experienced the franco-ontarian reality? Have you been told that you cannot apply for a position because you don't speak the right language? Have you learned to speak French or are you a francophone? How much of your tax dollar goes toward promoting bilingualism? The government is always saying being bilingual is to our advantage. I have yet to see a balance sheet as to how much this costs and what money it brings to Ontario or Canada.

I live in a rural community of 6,000 people in Southwestern Ontario. I have never lived in Northern Ontario but my sister, who incidentally is married to a francophone, lives in Cochrane and I have visited her for extended periods many times and have been warmly welcomed by my brother in law and his family...most of whom speak better English than I do French. I have never been told that I cannot apply for a position because I don't speak the right language...I believe there are laws against that. Have I ever not been hired for a job that required full bilingualism? Yes...and I have no problem with that. I can communicate in French and Spanish and have been known to be understood in German on very rare occasions. I am a firm believer in language diversity and both of my children were educated in French Immersion and I know their lives are richer for for it. I think my tax dollars were and are well spent in this regard. They both have had jobs (some of them quite menial in the service industry) in which their bilingualism was a major factor in the hiring process.

Obviously your Government job requires you to speak English. Do you think that it's possible that uni-lingual francophones harbour some resentment against a system that doesn't allow them to hold a position like yours? Sometimes the shoe fits very neatly on the other foot.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Hon #366257 02/04/10 12:54 PM
N
N
Hon, Ontario is an English province not bilingual. NB is our only bilingual province. The operating language of the Ontario government is English and yes my position did require me to be fluent in English. One way the government gets around language issues is to designate a position as bilingual and then test you on your fluency in French. It doesn't do this for English fluency for francophones (some from Quebec) applying for the same position. In Sudbury (30% francophone) some gov't offices are 95% francophone (not just French speaking). How is that fair? Good thing your kids are fluent because they will need it in Ontario if they want to work in gov't or any agency connected to gov't.
I am married to a franco-ontarian and have experienced both acceptance and disdain for being of English decent (mostly from her Quebecois relatives). The bigotry shoe does fit on the other foot quite well... We are still 'maudit anglais' to many "Canadien/nes" in and out of Quebec although not usually openly expressed (a hidden cultural resentment). I am happy for you that your limited connection to French Canada is a good one

To Hon & Seashell. I did not mean to start a discussion about bigotry, my statement was an off the cuff remark about those in Canada I personally know and who have made statements to me about them. I have no personal experience with these matters. I did not mean to offend you. That being said, I know it exists.
As well as the signage and packaging of products are an expense they feel is not right.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
"These are 2 legislated official languages for the entire country where the USA has one, English"

The USA has NO official language.

Never Use money to measure wealth
E
E
But, the USA SHOULD have an official language and it should be English.

Hear hear, Its the one thing that keeps us a unified Nation! Period.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
N
N
Thanks for the correction Bill, I didn't know that, just assumed that since your federal government operated in English only that English was the official language. Just found out that the UK does not have an official language either.

P
P
I was in Quebec some years ago when the separatists were hoping for a victory with the Meech Lake (sp?) accord (which they lost). I witnessed and experienced considerable bigotry by the vociferous Quebecoise (again, sp?). I remember being puzzled why there were no street signs in English (I was driving), and was told that it was illegal to have English signs on roads, in shops, or anywhere else. Certainly I saw French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese etc signs, but never one in English. You would have thought that if only because their biggest source of visitors was the USA they would for that reason alone have had signs in English, but no.

"Just found out that the UK does not have an official language either."

Well Thank you back N.C. I did not know that about the UK.
I guess it's true. You learn something new everyday if you just pay attention smile

Never Use money to measure wealth
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.