Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Our beautiful beaches on "La Isla Bonita" have been through a lot; whether its Mother Nature sending us some sort of tropical depression, storm or hurricane to batter or lovely coastline or the residents that are constantly riding up and down the beach, adding to the deteriorating conditions.

The San Pedro Town Council believes it's time to repair our beautiful beach for all of us to enjoy - tourist, locals and especially the children. Councilor Nano Guerrero met with Ambergris Today and explained to us what their plans are.

"We have put much thought into this plan and believe it's the best thing we can do for the preservation of our beach," commented Mr. Guerrero. According to him, the street starting from Wet Willy's on the beachside all the way to Boca del Rio will become a one way street (Northern direction) and will be 15 feet wide. The street is intended for the traffic of golf carts only. No taxis or other vehicles will be allowed on the street.

These 15 feet of road will start from the property line heading towards the beach; it will then be marked with coconut trees. The San Pedro Town Council is welcoming ideas and suggestions. Feel free to contact the mayor or councilors at 226-2198 or send a letter to the office of the San Pedro Town Council.

Ambergris Today

If they are closing the street to car/truck traffic, I wonder why the need to also make it one way, if it will be used only by golf carts, bicycles and pedestrians.

So you have to come back south via the road. Would probably cut off all traffic on the road side if it was two way. That's just my thought. If it stayed two way, I would never go the street side, it's just too nice of a drive! Businesses on the street side would suffer. This is just my guess.

Change your Latitude
They have to do something to improve the road from the circle to the bridge!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
There will be a problem with the property owner/residents along the beachfront who presently drive regular vehicles...they won't willingly give them up.

The beach road has been two way forever already and hasn't cut off all traffic on the interior street route (shuffles). The change will be that ALL south-bound traffic will be forced to go down the interior street route, making it a little more congested. At least letting the golf carts and bikes continue on the beach road would alleviate a little of the increased interior street traffic. I'm all for decreasing beach erosion caused by large vehicles on the beach, just don't agree with not letting golf carts and bicyles go both ways on the beach road.

Last edited by tcoats; 07/15/10 02:19 PM.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Think both avenues should be both ways....just suggesting what might have been in the minds of those who made the decision.

Change your Latitude
P
P
I think that the beach should be closed to all traffic. You don't save a beach by promoting vehicle use on it

Originally Posted by shuffles
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Think both avenues should be both ways....just suggesting what might have been in the minds of those who made the decision.

Yes, I understand your point too. Just pointing out that the beach road is already a two-way and does not at this time diminish the interior street traffic to zero. Plenty of people use both roads.

Originally Posted by pamkillen
I think that the beach should be closed to all traffic. You don't save a beach by promoting vehicle use on it

I was thinking the same thing.

Who wants any motorized traffic of any type going in any direction on the beach?

Close the road completely and make it a scenic walkway.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.