Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
D
It's nice... and a bit frustrating I suppose... to see this thread start again. As part of Bandage International, my colleagues (emergency room docs, advanced paramedics, and nurses) and I have been to AC 8 times, runing training sessions with ACER, hotel staff, and whoever could and would come.

Our goal from the start was to set up a chain of survival system where an injured/sick person could be met by a first responder and transferred to more appropriate care with increasing knowledge and ability to act. We have trained over 500 people in country but the goal of keeping this "system" in place is elusive because the players change and it only seems to get "popular" when something happens.

We have gone so far as to offer (to mayor and area rep) coordination of setting up a non-profit ER on the caye to to help bring in volunteer physician and medic staff from Canada/US in high season. Any and all donations would back to the clinic and all followups to the local docs to help smooth the political waters. Also expressed pleasure to work with the locals docs. In the end, No interest.

We tried to have an emergency health summit last year. The phrase "herding cats" comes to mind.

The bottom line is that having a real chain of care is by no means impossible but requires citizens (expat and local), government, and business to make this a priority and sit down and sort it out. Until that happens, good will and good effort by many bringing equipment and instruction will help a bit but never really attain the syste that is optimal.

As always, we are happy to participate in this process in any way we can with planning, ideas, time, and money, but it really needs to be taken more seriously by more people at the same time.

As always, I love the place and the people but feel a little frankness is required in this conversation. Hope to see you all soon.

Dr. John

btw Costa Maya has an AED and have staff trained in its use and there was one at the South Neighborhood watch station.

Right on!

we can only do so much remotely... we need boots on the ground!

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Astrum operates the Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger helicopter and a Bell 206 L4 Longer Ranger.
The Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger
Corporate configuration, emergency floats, high visibility markings, 2 GPS, 3 VHF radios (including company frequency), cargo hook, satellite phone.
The Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger is a 5 place helicopter with an average cruise speed of 100 mph, range of 330 miles and an endurance of 3 hours and 15 minutes.
Hourly Rate: $ 1,000 USD + GST 12.5%
The Bell 206 Long Ranger
Corporate configuration, emergency floats, high visibility markings, 2 GPS, 3 VHF radios (including company frequency), cargo hook, satellite phone, litter kit (2 stretchers), air conditioner
The Bell 206 L Long Ranger is a 7 place helicopter with an average cruise speed of 110 mph, range of 330 miles and an endurance of 3 hours.

Hourly Rate: $ 1,950 USD + GST 12.5%

As regards Medivac Services:
The Jet Ranger can seat 1 patient and 1 medic. The patient must be able to sit during flight.
The Long Ranger can hold 2 stretchers, 1 medic and 1 extra passenger.
A Paramedic is contacted immediately and they will assist the injured patient during flight. The cost of paramedic is US$ 100.00 per hour.
[email protected]
Office (Belize): +501 222-5100
Mobile (Belize): +501 610-4381
Toll Free (US): +1 (888) ASTRUM4
Toll Free (US): +1 (888) 278-7864

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
C
C
Tropic Air is available 24/7 (SPR>BZE only) for doctor ordered medivac.
Takes about an hour to mobilize the personnel at the international arpt. for night/after hrs. operations; ATC, lights ect.
Standard charter rate + boarding & overtime for the pilot.
All SPR Doctors have contact information

D
D
jets and choppers are wonderful if one gets to them alive, or alive enough to survive the flight and get to definitive care. Sadly this is often not the case with acute and severe medical conditions. More focus on the "chain of survival" is important in this discussion. Just saying...

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Agreed, I feel the most important thing that can be done right now is De-fibs in the Coastal Express Boats.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
that's important. And make it widely known that they are there so people will call when an incident happens. Train staff/residents on what to do first, right away when an incident happens. Know where the nearest trained person is if you are north or south. And make sure the people with the defibs know how to use them and/or that they aren't rusted/out of power. The most important time with anything needing a defib is the first five to ten minutes.... starting CPR even before the defib gets there. Unfort you can't defib a dead heart.... Already seen it twice on AC. Sad, bad for business, and preventable.

A group of us have been meeting and trying to organize an emergency team. We are in need of funds and equipment and especially some trained first responders. Does anyone know of persons residing here that may be willing to be on the team? We have Scott Harnish and are in the process of trying to arrange first aid training for the Coastal Express staff.
Dr John, is Bandage International planning to come down anytime soon? We could use your help for more advanced training for the team.
We are trying to locate some of the equipment that was with Island Ferry. We are really in need in some backboards amongst other basic stuff, but we will know more after we have searched for what there is already in place.

Last edited by natalie p; 08/15/10 08:08 AM. Reason: error
D
D
Bandage International plans to be back down in late october or early november... let me know what you find or don't find... there should be a number of back boards around but I know the drill. We can bring some more. We will likely run a basic and advanced course this trip.

That's great! I will keep in touch---I think I have your email address.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.