Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
B
B
Can anyone here tell me who gave the Town Board or the Traffic god the permission to give permission? Remember is still not a legal gazetted roadway. As I stated in the past, if there is an accident, which is inevitable the speeds the taxis are going, insurance companies are not liable. It's still private property.
Today I had words with the Captain Morgan's taxi after he had to slam on his brakes to stop from hitting a young boy who was cleaning bush in front of his house. I personally was hit by a motorcycle and can attest that the fact that insurance companies consider the "road" private property and just throw you claim in the trash. I have also had a traffic violation thrown out of court as according to the judge 'the traffic department was trespassing".
Whoever at The Town Board who decided they had the authority to issue a permit for taxi traffic across that bridge has put themselves and the taxi drivers in a liability situation that is dangerous.
Not to mention the class action suit to be filed by property owners implicating everyone in the Town Board building because no one will stand up and say who gave the permit.
I hate to say it but I will anyways-I wonder how much $$ was involved in all this.

L
L
Do the San Pedranos who actually own the cabs have any influence in this decision? Who are these cab owners?

R.B. Mernitz
S
S
Hmmm... What a great question!

D
Donald
Donald
D
I tend not to write too much here and being British I don't have a whole lot to say but is seems to me that the Town Board and the Mayor are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and thus their own tourism. Grand Caribe should start their own boat service just like all the other resorts North of San Pedro. Who wants to travel across the bridge in a stinky rusty taxi with broken air conditioner, worn out suspension and the whole family of the driver breast feeding on the back seat while being grossly overcharged anyway? This is not why people come to Belize!
Donald

M
M
Originally Posted by champion
So tell me then, what about the letter of agreement with Mexico to build the road from Mexico to San Pedro.

There was no public consultation on that either and it does not change any of the facts. There at present is no legal easement, you can check it out yourself, just go to town board and look at the survey maps.

M
M
Originally Posted by belizeonthebeach
Can anyone here tell me who gave the Town Board or the Traffic god the permission to give permission? Remember is still not a legal gazetted roadway. As I stated in the past, if there is an accident, which is inevitable the speeds the taxis are going, insurance companies are not liable. It's still private property.
Today I had words with the Captain Morgan's taxi after he had to slam on his brakes to stop from hitting a young boy who was cleaning bush in front of his house. I personally was hit by a motorcycle and can attest that the fact that insurance companies consider the "road" private property and just throw you claim in the trash. I have also had a traffic violation thrown out of court as according to the judge 'the traffic department was trespassing".
Whoever at The Town Board who decided they had the authority to issue a permit for taxi traffic across that bridge has put themselves and the taxi drivers in a liability situation that is dangerous.
Not to mention the class action suit to be filed by property owners implicating everyone in the Town Board building because no one will stand up and say who gave the permit.
I hate to say it but I will anyways-I wonder how much $$ was involved in all this.
There is recourse under law. It is called a Writ Of Mandamus and is a court order compelling a public body to obey the law. It has been Gazetted that there are no vehicles larger than golf carts allowed up here and thats the law. They have no authority to do as they have done.
The other factor is the bridge. I dont think it was designed for such traffic. Before this is even considered the Ministry of Works needs to examine and ok the bridge for this type of traffic. The structure does not look substantial enough to be a real bridge handling several taxis on the structure at one time with all the twist and shaking on a daily basis, works well for golf carts and bicycles though. Very poorly thought out decision.

B
B
I seem to remember a survey map that shows the north end of the bridge landing on the middle of Tom Vidrines lot. B E L's power station to the west is where the easement is, should they make it a road.It would go between the theater and Holy Cross and connect to the road going through Reef Village.
Whatever--the bridge was partially overhauled 2 years ago. They only did half (west) and it took them 3 months. The north side will not last another year. I will not walk on the east sidewalk for fear of falling through what was once 3/16 diamond plate. (there are no diamonds left on the plate).The onslaught of 60,000 lb. 10 wheelers last month took whatever longevity the bridge had anyways.

Just to make a point about the bridge I believe it was made in England and when I first saw the bridge it looked just like a Tank Bridge we used in the Army. They look weak but can take 56 ton.

SO - WHAT CAN WE DO NOW? Can a town hall meeting be called? Come on we have to DO something - not just bitch.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
M
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
SO - WHAT CAN WE DO NOW? Can a town hall meeting be called? Come on we have to DO something - not just bitch.

Exactly! That's what I want to know. What can we do RIGHT NOW. This week!!

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.