The Court House (Supreme Court Building), Belize City
Built in classic British colonial style the Supreme Court building in Belize City is complete with clock tower.
The original courthouse in Belize City was destroyed by fire in 1818 and in 1926 a new building was constructed to house the Supreme Court. This grand old edifice has 4 clocks facing each of the cardinal points and is entered via an intricate ironwork stairway leading to the second-floor veranda.
The Supreme Court of Belize still holds several annual sessions on the second floor while the first floor houses a daily magistrate’s court.
The court is not opened to the general public.
On September 1st, 1786, at a magistrate meeting, a man by the name of “Dan” offered a lot located at the present day Government House. This lot was the first location considered for the Court House. As faith would have it, the lot was used for the construction of the Government House in 1814 and the rest is history. Here are seven additional facts:
1) The first Court House was built in 1818, and was almost destroyed in the great fire of 1863, which burnt almost the entire town.
4)The 1818 Court House was replaced in 1880 with a new Court House constructed out of wood with the same architectual design as the current Court House. The second court house was built by a Prussian Army Officer by the name of Gustav Von Ohlafen. Mr Ohlaffen was the same person who built the Vaults (1881) located at Sanker’s Park in the Yarborough area.
5) The second Court House was eventually destroyed by fire on August 17th, 1918.
6) Governor Hart-Bennett died as consequence of the 1918 fire when the flag pole which was weaken by the fire, fell and hit him on his head. He died a month later from his injuries. He has been the only Governor, Lieutenant Governor and/or Superintendent who has died on the job.
7) The current Court House, constructed from concrete, was built in 1926.
Click here to comment on this picture.