River boats travelling from San Ignacio to Belize City, long ago, a list of the settlements along the Belize Old River, names of the Belize river boats that served all those settlements and villages between Belize City and San Ignacio
The Golden Era of the River Boats ran from 1893 to 1949. The Golden Era of the river boats ended when the Hawkesworth Bridge was inaugurated in 1949.
FIGURE YOURSELF CRUISING DOWN THE BELIZE OLD RIVER ON ONE OF THOSE RIVER BOATS. - Just three days going down.
Yes, this was what us, from the West had to endure to reach Belize City, to extract one of those KILLING TOOTH ACHES. It was a pleasure the first day, to watch the many people along the River banks living on those 107 Settlements, with pretty names like Paking Pot,- Tea kettle,- Never Delay- More Tomorrow.- Married Woman Point etc etc
But on the second day you began to miss your bed and your bathing facilities. Your fried beans, your fried eggs, Your tortilla or creole bread. BUT WE MADE IT.
THERE WERE Twenty Six of these River Boats that went up from Belize City to San Ignacio with merchandise and came down with with Passengers and Chicle blocks,and cattle and other farm produce to Belize City.
Where did those River Boats dock in Belize City?
WE ALL KNOW WHERE THE FAMOUS SWING BRIDGE IS SITUATED IN BELIZE CITY.
That was the HUB of business in those days. - SO, in this picture, you can see some of the various boats docked near bye.- This Dock was called "Melhado Wharf." and across was "Distributor Wharf and "Turton Wharf " and " BEC Wharf "
I was asked what were some of the names of the Cayo Boats.
I'LL TRY TO NAME BOAT AND OWNER:
1. The Clarence Mengel. Owned by the Mengel Lumber Co.
NAMES OF THE BELIZE RIVER BOATS THAT SERVED ALL THOSE SETTLEMENTS AND VILLAGES BETWEEN BELIZE CITY AND SAN IGNACIO.
2. The Cruizer. Owned by the Mengel Lumber Co.
3. The Cutter. Owned by David Smith & John Buckley.
4. The Tenny Fly. Owned by Aaron Arnold. (Happy Home)
5. The Zebu. Owned by Aaron Arnold.
6. The Chicle. Owned by Henry Renton Lisbey.
7. The Cacique. Owned by Habet & Sabala.
8. The Colosso. Owned by Emilio Awe.
9. The Cayo. Owned by Habet & Sabala
10. The Elenita. Owned by Edwardo Sabala.
11. The Apollo. Owned by Melhado and Sons.
12. The Minerva. Owned by Melhado and Sons.
13. The Deutz. Owned by Guy N.F. Nord.
14. The Buda. Owned by Guy N.F. Nord.
15. The Nameless. Owned by Gomez Brothers.
16. The Tireless. Owned by Gomez Brothers.
17. The Creole. Owned by John Usher.
18. The Amy. Owned by Eddie Usher.
19. The Olga. Owned by Walter Burns.
20. The Quetzal. Owned by William Wiley.
21. The San Ignacio. Owned by The Catholic church.
22. The Renee-M. Owned by John Mendez (after his daughter).
23. The Shultz. Owned by Guy N.F. Nord.
24. The Empress. Owned by Guy N.F. Nord.
Heron H was a sea going boat it travelled between Belize and Punta Gorda stopping at all the stops along the way. The Coloso was the largest and the Venus was the smallest but the fastest. I always looks to travel on the Venus. They were tunnel boats the prop was an a recessed cavity in the bottom to minimise damage from rocks.
AMONG THE CONDUCTORS OF THESE BOATS WERE
Somon Smith,- Facundo Audinett -Joseph Humes -,Aaron
Arnold, - Atanacio Patnett, - A Mr Haylock - Eraquio Hill - David Smith - - a Mr John Buckley, -- Mr Avington Neal - Mr E.A. Franklin and others.
When we refer to those River Boats that plied the communities along the Belize Old River, we speak of large boats that pulled large barges, loaded with all cargoes to Cayo and Peten and on the return trip, they transported tons of Chicle Blocks, cattle and agricultural products. On the front part of the boat, passengers were accommodated on this long journey.
( On the picture below is one of the Gomez' boats pulling itself by a WENC, called Warp Line) name of this boat was " TIRELESS " a sister ship to the one called " FEARLESS ".
THESE WERE THE SETTLEMENTS ALONG THE BELIZE OLD RIVER that were serviced by the 26 River Boats until 1950, when the Western Highway was opened and Land Transportation took over.
Many of these settlements still exist. some of them have been renamed, and some have totally disappeared.
The names BANK and CREEK were used, to give a location.
A BANK was located along a river. A CREEK indicated that a creek passed along the settlement.
Also the word "LANDING", indicated, that River Boats stopped there on their journey. (Bermudan Landing)
The word " EDDIE or EDDY " indicated that there was a deep whirl pool in the River, (Like Black man Eddie)
THE BELIZE OLD RIVER. From Branch Mouth to Teakettle.
Begins at the Branch Mouth Villaage, then down to Bright Lookout, Johny Sam (now Santa Familia), Carmelita, Bradley's bank, Carretela Bank, Duck Run, Joe August, Santa Rosa, Saw Mill, Middle bank, Esperanza, Benque Ceiba, Tiger Bank, Baking Pot, Garbutt Creek ( now Central farm), Spanish Lookout, Morning Glory, Platon, Gentle Bank, Florial Park, Barton Creek, Little Barton Creek (now United Ville), Iguana Creek, Bucut Palace, Black-Man Eddy, Warric Head ( now Ontario), Dan Davies farm and Teakettle.
From Teakettle Village to Big Falls.
Young Gial (girl), Happy Home, New Home, San Antonio, Roaring Creek, Banana Bank, Little Orange Walk, Never Delay, Mount Pleasant, Kitty Bank Cocos, Saturday Creek, Bull Run, Salomon's Place, Cotton Tree Bank, Rock Donda, Meditation, More Tomorrow, Dancing School Eddie, Joe White Bank, Pecarry Guts, Panama, Gale Creek, Beaver Dam, Castille, Cocrico Run, Baboon Eddie, Laboring Creek, Married Woman Point, Monkey Run, Big Haulover and Big Falls.
From Big Falls to Burrel Boom.
Cock Loft (or Laugh), Society Hall, Johny Young's Bank, Sutherland Bank, Double Head Cabbage, Jim Cotto, Hunt's Point, Bermudan Landing, Scotland and Half Moon, Isabella Bank, Bamboo Patch, Flower;s'Bank, Lime Walk, Burns' Pen, May Pen, Black Creek, Grace Bank, Jones Bank, Mexico Creek, Baker's Ranch, Double Run and Burrel Boom.
From Burrel Boom to Belize City.
Mitchell's Pen, Bolton's Bank, Van Tuy's bank, Gabourel's Bank, Evan's Bank, Hofius Mango Walk, Halouver Mouth and into Belize City.
Photographs courtesy Hector Silva
The River Boats of British Honduras
Researched by: George Villanueva
Before the construction of the road to Belize City in 1925, the river provided the highway and chief means of communication with the outside world Over land travel on horseback was arduous and slow. River travel was not much faster. Until the invention of the steam engine, it consisted of boats that had to be paddled or rowed.
The earliest mention of larger vessels traveling the river is that of the launch sent by the Governor following the battle in 1872. A boat called the "Pioneer" was in regular service in 1875, and might have been one of the first to run the regular route between Belize City, Corozal and Orange Walk, with stops at the villages along the way. The "Fredie M." was carrying mail when it was wrecked near Corozal in 1895.
The turn of the century ushered in the golden age of the northern steamers. One of the earliest boats of this period was an unnamed one owned by Katherine A. Leitch. This eighty-foot steam vessel carried ten cabin and forty deck passengers. The ""Egarton" (a 114 foot, twin-engined vessel) was licensed in 1914 and the "Star" (a two-decker) was licensed in 1916. The "Star" took a day and a half to reach Belize City from Orange Walk. In 1920, the "Star" carried fifty men of the Volunteer Guard into Belize for a shooting competition.
Perhaps the best-known vessel was the "Africola" (72 tons) owned by L.G. Chavannes and registered in 1922. She left Belize on Mondays at noon for Corozal and the New River, with stops at Pueblo Nuevo, Caledonia and San Estevan. She returned to Belize on Thursdays. The First Class fare was $6.50 and the Second Class fare was $3.25. Freight charges included $0.50 for a bag of rice, $0.10 for a box of candles, $0.40 for a bag of corn, and $0.25 for a block of chicle.
Besides carrying the mail and passengers, the river steamers brought in to Orange Walk; rice, boxes of condensed milk, drums of oil, kegs of butter, candles, salt, flour, barrels of pork and pigtail, and (carefully packed into barrels) bottles of Chavannes Lemonade; the real "Afri-Kola" for which the boat was named. It carried back to the City: chicle in blocks (each stamped with the owner's initials) corn in sacks, green avocados and ripe pineapples, oranges, bananas, and watermelons from San Estevan. From the mill of J.W. Price came brown sugar in 100 pound sacks. From Caledonia came pigs, alligator skins, and tobacco leaves bound into bundles. And from the Gonzalez distillery came fifteen and twenty-five gallons casks of "Taste-Tells" rum. With the construction of the road to the City in the late 1920's and early 1930's, it was only a matter of a few years before the slow-moving steamers were replaced by trucks. The "Chapulin" was the last steamer in regular service. It was owned by R.S. Turton and registered in 1923. It carried six First Class or cabin passengers and twenty Second Class or deck passengers. The "Chapulin" made its final voyage in 1939 under Captain Felipe Magaria.
Long time residents mention two other boats as traveling to Belize from Orange Walk on a regular basis: the "Florin" and a boat called the "L.G.C." (or L.A.C.)
Orange Walk was also the terminal for another fleet of boats - those operated by the Belize Estate and Produce Company in its logging operations. Two of the earlier company boats were the paddle wheeled steamer "Don Felipe" of 24 tons (registered in 1890) and the "Alpha" a stern paddle-wheeler in service about the same time.
The "Ella" was a motor schooner of 59 tons, registered in 1903 by the Belize Estate and Produce Company, which later sold it to the Escalante family of Orange Walk. It was used to haul out logs and after it had outlived its usefulness, it was driven up a creek in the vicinity of Trial Farm and burned.
Though the New River still serves as a highway for the rafts of logs, and for the barges of sugar and molasses produced at Tower Hill, the time when it was the sole link with the rest of the world has long passed and the northern steamer has become the stuff of history.
Alexander Montero had a sail boat called the Sunbeam that use to sail between Punta Gorda and Belize city in the 1920s. Used to carry carry pigs to Belize city.
According to the 1925 handbook of British Honduras the Sunbeam was a 6 ton sloop registered to George J Morey of Long Coconut Caye in 1907.
Am presuming Mr. Montero bought the Sunbeam from Mr Morey.
The Riverboats, and "the "Afrikola"
Click here to comment on this picture.
Click here for a large selection of photographs and videos of Belize
Email us - Weyour photographs. Send us yours with a description!
Tours & Recreation
Diving & Snorkeling
San Pedro Sun
Belize Message Board
Things to do