I agree. There are good people on the force and they do not pay them a living wage. Many have families in other places to support. The living conditions in the barracks are dreadful. Sometimes the Gov does not send their paychecks until weeks late.
What would you do if your kid has no schoolbooks or shoes and you saw a guy walk by you knew was holding?Spend all day booking him for possession so he could be released in the city? Or accept a twenty and your kid has shoes so he can go back to school?
The cop doesn't have to be genuinely corrupt to make those kind of choices.
It gets easier to do after the first time. When you walk by the regular crowd of dope dealers by the flea market do you ever wonder how they can be so invisible to the entire police force?
Ask them. I have.
Pretending like this isn't the real world for these guys leaves a fellow with no
understanding of what's going on at the station.
How do I know this?directly out of the mouths of both honest and dishonest cops and the people who pay them.
This has caused many of the local families to regard all cops as crooked. This blanket condemnation leaves good cops with less incentive to do their jobs.
Our recent sergeant Wade was a good cop. Many on his force were neither crooked nor actively working. They were just hanging around. He was promoted out of Caye Caulker. Were were lucky to have him for a while.

Last edited by Dane; 11/29/12 08:33 AM.