No, I don't believe we're acquainted Dane. I apologize if I came off a bit harsh. I just get vex when Belize police are seemingly stereotyped with the habits of police in spanish countries. I've not known the police to "solicit" bribes. Then again I'm not a dope dealer. It is of course well known that certain drug dealers pay off certain policeman for at least a forewarning of an impending raid. It is my understanding that this has gotten tougher with this new batch of cops.
But as to this new bunch and incidents such as this stroller thing it seems they have adopted a guilty until proven innocent approach. I've no idea if the father in question was a "known" drug dealer or not but I doubt these new guys did either. As an example let me relate a recent incident near what you refer to as the flea market (the palapas?). Myself and 4 older gentlemen were relaxing at a vendors table when police arrived and quickly went about frisking everyone save myself (white man) and searching all our belongings. The new corporal said he was acting on a tip. Any cop with more experience on CC would have known who we all were (certainly not drug dealers).
In my humble opinion as a guest here I would suggest the way to reduce corruption would be to lose the 2 minimum 3 max rule, allow the village to chose a chief of police and allow him to chose his officers. Maybe provide suitable housing for officers to become a real part of the community with their families.