Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#331556 04/06/09 06:42 AM
N
Nessa Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Are there many places that offer monthly rates for 3-6 months at a time on Caye Caulker? My husband and I would like to do this in about 2 yrs and I am trying to figure out if there are places out there and how much they typically cost. The other thing is, we would be bringing up to 3 large dogs with us. If anyone has any inside info., please pass it along.

Thanks much!

Nessa #331601 04/06/09 10:58 AM
Z
Zardoz
Zardoz
Z
Three Big Dogs....Good Luck

Z

#331617 04/06/09 12:59 PM
N
Nessa Offline OP
OP Offline
N
That difficult, huh? Is it due more the the Owner being worried about potential damage? Just curious!

#331619 04/06/09 01:07 PM
D
D
There are houses to find from April to November.
Nov. to Mar. it is much more difficult. Our place rents around US$700/mo. Most others cost more or are quite basic. You may not find choices Dec. to Mar. if it has to be seaside or airconditioned.

Dane #331620 04/06/09 01:08 PM
D
D
Bringing big dogs to the Caye is often a disaster for them.

Dane #331626 04/06/09 01:29 PM
C
C
If you love your dogs leave them behind..its only for several months...I wish I had not brought my Rottie...now I adopt island dogs that need a home.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Z
Zardoz
Zardoz
Z
Cooper or Dane

What problems do people have bringing Dogs to CC?

Z

Last edited by Zardoz; 04/06/09 08:14 PM. Reason: added name
#331668 04/06/09 08:33 PM
C
C
First of all I have big dogs that were born here, Alot of the locals are afraid of dogs, actually screaming and running away , etc just at the sight of them without any signs of aggression, then at last count every dog here that has been tested has tic fever and most have heartworm. Treatment for these things here are different than in the States,,your normal flea and tic treatment does not work here.These things can be treated, but your basic over the counter flea collars ant meds dont work at all. I know you probably have intentions of keeping your dogs redistricted but its not unusual to have someone take a machete to them if they are scared. The climate can be an issue also. We also have no vet care here...not to scare you...if you were moving here permantly and dogs are family that would be another issue but just for a few months it may not be the best choice...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
L
L
Hey Nessa! I am a local and I am NOT "afraid of big dogs, screaming and running away, etc just at the sight of them..."!!! Getting your dogs here might be a bit difficult, but once they are here, everything will be okay! I don't know what Cooper is coming with!! And we do have VETS that come here quite often as a matter of fact. There is a really nice lady, Madi Collins, and she is a registered Humane Society on the island. She takes care of the animals and brings a vet out here every two (2) weeks. Everyone knows that. So don't let anyone discourage you from bringing your dogs here. Just remember, once they are here, PLEASE try to keep them on a leash. We are trying to have people practice that on our island so as to avoid any problems! Hope to see you and your doggies soon! Take care...

Libra #331700 04/07/09 06:53 AM
N
Nessa Offline OP
OP Offline
N
My dogs are not super big. I have 2 65# golden retrievers and my old man Max who is a 90# lab/setter. Sadly, I don't think he will be around when we start our long-term stays away from home. I do have alot of worries about bringing my dogs to CC, however, I believe in responsible pet ownership and could never leave them behind. I work at a vet clinic, so I know a little about what my risks would be. Such a tough thing! I will definitely put their best interests first. Anyone know why the usual flea/tick treatments don't work there like they do here? I greatly appreciate all the info! This is stuff I need to know long before I make any decisions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day