Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
maybe, just hopefully because Belize has realized that there won't be any lobster to "fest" about given the current state of the "industry". Thanks Marty for this:

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/406777/Searchpage/1/Main/45318/Words/lobster/Search/true/Re_How_To_Revive_The_Belize_Lo.html#Post406777

R
R
So, is there some kind of 'official' decision? Lobsterfest or NO Lobsterfest? Would it be announced in the local newspaper or something?

***Just finished reading some of the issues surrounding lobster fishing/trapping. Pretty controversial, so I don't know for sure what's happening, but it looks like taking undersized lobsters creates a serious shortage? Hope it can be balanced out in the future.

Last edited by Rzab; 05/10/11 03:22 PM. Reason: read more info

what now?
In San Pedro, and i'm sure it's the same for Caye Caulker, we have been offered lobster at Mathieu's Delicatessen a couple of times in closed season. When I remarked "isn't it still closed season?", and told the seller I wasn't interested, he backed out the door pretty damn quick. When we were living on Caye Caulker I took a fishing trip with friends of friends (just accompanying on a working fishing boat), and they pulled up a sackful of lobster, there must have been at least 80 or 90. That was 3 weeks before open.

Trying to have a tactful conversation about this with the fishermen, they said simply "if we wait til open, there'll be no lobster left, everyone's doing it so we can have a stockpile to sell on day one"... that was 3 weeks before open, go figure how long they'd been doing it and how may others had. Makes mockery of "closed" season.

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day