Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#410959 06/30/11 07:24 PM
E
Erin... Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I was wondering if you can bring in frozen meat to ambergris? We are coming from austin tx usa. Does anyone know if you can and how much it costs?
Thank you
E

H
H
No you can not bring meats in...

You can too, it must have a USDA lable and you must declare it. I know, been there.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
P
P
Without a permit? Not in my experience.

P
P
In short things like this are never set in stone and depend on the day and who you see and you could esily have it taken. Why bother with the additional aggrovation.

get a permit. then get it wrapped by the meat company so it looks official and have em put usda stamps all over it. then put the meat into dry ice in a camping refrigerator.

bring a receipt for it also. for tax calculations. cost well, depends on the total amount of meat and who checks you thru customs! some randomness in there.

OR just buy the meat here. lots better than it used to be.

Marty #411016 07/01/11 02:08 PM
True Marty. Gunter has had some amazing feedback from the "out of this world filet mignon and steak" (customers' comments, not ours"). People assume it's only USDA we're using, but we've been very happy with the local meat, and have decided that where we can, we'll use only local produce. Not worth the hassle in our opinion to try to bring in some. Surely even texans aren't that addicted to their steaks?? are they?

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
Personally I prefer the flavour of the local meat although it does have more texture than the US imported stuff. I am not saying chewy just that you know you are eating meat, which again I would say is a good thing. Also Lino's brings in a lot of beef and pork from the US which you can buy - more expensive than local obviously, but a lot easier than bringing your own.

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
C
C
Yup..you sure can bring meat in. I brought in 10 rib steaks frozen in a cooler, so they were thawed but cold on arrival. Before moving here I was a meat cutter at Safeway, so had some connections with pricing on packages.You must have the USDA label and expect to pay about 30 to 40% duty on value of meat. Now if you start bringing in a case or so of meat so it looks like you are going to sell it, then you are in trouble.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
P
P
Well I tried this a few years ago and had to dance pretty quick to keep my meat. I was told you had to have an Government issued import permit to bring in any meat, even for personal consumption - USDA or not. It could have changed but most likely (which is hard for those not used to Belize practice to understand) it changes on the day and on the person you deal with. As before - Why bother unless there is a specific important reason? For a weeks holiday eat local Chicken Pork or Seafood that are all great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,036
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.