Caulker is the bomb! I've encouraged people to go, but you got to have to a certain sensibility and flexibility to enjoy it.

There's no rushin' for nothin'. It simply doesn't flow like that.

Most shops, restaurants, hotels, and cafes are on the Front Page (Caulker's Main Street of sorts). few spots, like Chang's Market are in the middle. The Back Page is the what the States would call the Hood, but I love it over there, too. You can't get more real than the ghetto! More people live this way than most would care to acknowledge, but I digress.

As you go from the Back to Front you go from shanty to condos and hotels. Caulker's got a little bit of everything - thugs, tourists, expats, business folks, hustlers, charmers, gonzos, Rastas, families, fishermen, divers, and stray dingos (very docile feral dogs).

I've often observed that generally tourists tend to hang with other tourists, paticularly the white yanks and Europeans.
The locals - Latino, Black and a few Chinese and whites - hang with one another. There is a community here, where people live, work, and raise their families; it's not *only* a playground.

I've never met an unfriendly person on Caulker; a few clowns sure such as anywhere, but no one who wasn't essentially alright.

Nights are very mellow on Caulker. Things close down somewhat early. There's more night life on San Pedro to be honest, but I prefer Caulker everytime.

Cops tend to patrol at night and they can be a little, well, brutish and kinda stoic.

Prices are a bit steep, but most imported goods are way taxed. They use a VAT system on goods in Belize - similar to Canada or Europe. I find the locally owned restaurants to be a better deal and more yummy.

The tour operators have a non-compete agreement, so not much use in running around looking for a deal. All are about the same rate.

You will be running around trying to find something specific, so stock up on meds and specialty items. There is a new pharmacy on Caulker, which is very cool.

Ask locals for good spots to eat or have a drink. I love the green frosty drink at the Lazy Lizard. What is it? Lizard Blizzard? Green Lizard? I forgot. It puts on a nice chill on your vibe, but it can get hectic in excess.

You can sunbathe and swim at the Split, take a spin on a bike or a golf cart. You'll see familar faces from day to day, so stop and say hello.

Oh, yes sunscreen, DEET, and B12 vits taken daily are strongly urged. The sun is HOT and the bugs don't play.

Caulker is my idea of living it up in a contented style along the sea.