Not to promote one ideology over another and not to put anyone down but war is war is war. True the start of WWI was based, for the most part, on treaties however war is always directly related to territory, finance (power) or defense otherwise if their was no potential for gain treaties would be worthless and protecting ones assets would be a waste of time. The only difference, in general terms, between Iraq and WWII was that the initiator was a nation-state vs a non-affliliated ideology but the outcome is the same, death, destruction and political posturing.
The revolutionary war? My God, The US were the terrorists with the Brits protecting land garnered by the queen. That was the law of the land at that time whether you believe in colonialism and power by might today or not. The Brits were protecting the loyalists from the "wackos" like Samuel Adams whose escapades got Americans (one being 11 yrs old by the way in Boston) shot by skittish Brit soldiers (read Letters of J. Adams, Vol I, Page 8 Letter III).
I am not saying it was not justified but the line between a partriot and a terrorist is a fine line which depends on a war won.
I would think that the Kurds would have a differing view (http://www.kurdishpoint.com/) as well as many of the Shiites that intervention was necessary. How do we determine the arbitrary level of heinousness? Is it 1,000, 10,000 1,000,000 casualties? is there a different level to intervene for whites as opposed to other colors? These lines do not exist today so what does Bush have to go by?
The benefit alone in combat expertise makes Iraq, hands down worth the cost let alone the potential to garner another ally in the Middle East. It amazes me that the American population, following the battle of Tarawa were reconsidering the war effort after photos were released of the Marines floating in the water and on the beaches. When you consider that on DDay at Iwo Jima 300+ Marines died within six hours vs 2,646 Military personnel killed in combat in Iraq since 3/19/03 (for complete numbers of WWII go to http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/battles.htm). Four plus years in Iraq vs four years in WWII (I know you are saying that they don't compare but Islamic extremism is likened to Fascism and 1930s era Asian colonialism in that it is a similar virulent ideology that produces a caste system where some are lesser and therefore expendable). I am not trying to belittle the deaths of these soldiers only pointing out that war, though disgusting and unfortunate, is a human trait that will not be purged easily from our genes and one must weigh the outcome with the cost.
also remember that more lives were lost because the US was not militarily prepared for situations such as Kasserine, Pearl Harbor, Chosin, Mogadishu, etc.

Take care!

Never trust a Captain who calls his firstmate "Little Buddy."

The Howells