Rina Has Become A Hurricane & Will Likely Become A Major Hurricane Sometime On Tuesday

Rob Lightbown on October 24, 2011, 2:30 pm

Hurricane Rina: Very quick afternoon update to let you all know that Rina has and still is rapidly strengthening. Reconnaissance aircraft found that it is now a 75 mph Category 1 hurricane. Additionally, visible satellite imagery clearly shows an eye trying to form this afternoon.

Other than that, I have no other changes to my forecast thinking from this morning. I still think that Rina will impact the northeastern Yucatan Peninsula, including Cancun and Cozumel, on Thursday night into Friday; except now, I think Rina will be a lot stronger and those of you in Cancun and Cozumel should be prepared for a Category 3 hurricane. After that I am forecasting that Rina will turn to the northeast and potentially impact the Florida Keys and south Florida on Saturday as a Category 1 or possibly a low end Category 2 hurricane. The northwestern Bahamas may also be affected by a Category 1 hurricane on Sunday before it becomes extra-tropical next Monday.

All interests across the western Caribbean, including those of you in Belize, Cancun, Cozumel, western Cuba, should monitor the progress of this storm very closely. Additionally, everyone in the Florida Keys and south Florida should closely monitor the progress of Rina over the next few days.