FISHING REPORT

Week of: May 21st - May 28th, 2011.

Weather Conditions: Hot, humid, sunny and windy.

Winds: 5 - 15 knots, E, ESE, E. Our prevailing wind is back!

Air Temperature: High: low to high 90's. Low: low 70's.

Water Temperature: mid�to high 70's.�

Moonphase: Last quarter on the 24th.

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONES: Once again we had several "firsts" for bonefish this week. Due to the falling tide during the day, it made fish a bit spookier. Anglers were cautioned to wear camo colors and keep a low profile cast to the "ghost of the flats." A couple big fish in the 4 to 6 lb range were landed on fly.

PERMIT: Wow. What a week for permit. Wallis landed two and half yesterday, ( a barracuda got the other half). First permit landed for Wallis so he is super excited. And Matt! A twenty-five pound permit on fly - several shots from his dad, Mac, and then Matt put a few on and then�.take off. Jim also landed first permit on fly with Capt. Emir. Guides reported seeing large numbers of permit�.anglers had several shots and follows, but no eats. So, the ones that did eat were the results of several shots�and finally the permit decides he or she should eat that fly. All permit on fly this week.

TARPON: Captain Tomas came in early one day, so I hopped on his boat and we headed out to Savannah. We waited for the tide�.and as soon as the incoming started, around 1 in afternoon, there they were! I had one eat. I missed it. I checked my shock, but didn't check the hook. You can guess, I hook another fish and clearly something was wrong. There was that opened up hook! Angler error. No excuses. We had several anglers with fish on�but none landed. Maybe today. Captain Luis left at 4 and headed down south, we'll see what they say!

SNOOK: No one really went after snook this week. It isn't our season for snook, but sometimes the guides find them tucked way up in the lagoon system.

JACKS: We had some huge jacks landed this week on fly and spin.

Barracuda! We usually don't report on barracuda, but we really had an exceptional week. Bill killed em on spin and fly. This is such a fun fish on the flats. They can get big air and really rip your tackle to shreds. If we had a barracuda pin, Bill, you would get it. Cuda 10 - 25 lbs. ;)

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Christmas Island Specials size 8 and 6, Charlies and Gotchas. Tan, gold, sexy patterns. Sexy patterns are flies that move so great in the water you just to have it

FOR TARPON - 3/0 yellow toads, green Toads, Black Death cockroach, and look out with purple! Your choice, circle hooks will help people who have not had experience setting tarpon, while the standard is still with J-hooks, or set hooks.

FOR PERMIT - We are starting to throw the Avalon Fly. Our 100% confidence fly is of course�..Yellow, Green, Orange and Pink Christmas Island Specials size 6 stripped fast. Tan and green crabs, size 6, when they are tailing. We strip a lot of flies for permit. It is the way the San Pedro guides do it, and it works! Shrimp patterns, size 6, on long 14 - 16 ft leaders down to 16lb test. Glass minnow patterns work as well. You just have to be brave enough to try.

This Week's Summary:
Great to meet the father/son group from Dallas. The guys just graduated from business school. They came here to El Pescador for a nice reward! I think we have a few fly fishing addicts on our hands now. Make sure you get your fishing time allocated when signing that work contract! We have some very serious anglers here this week. Leigh is here strictly for tarpon. It is his dream to land one, and the sooner the better. Ron really wanted a permit - he had a lot of shots with Captain Sinoe, but the fish were not committing. He did leave today thrilled that his is a better saltwater fly fisherman, and I think we'll see him back in July. It was Matt and Jim that got Ron and Mac here�.Matt had 3 permit last trip and landed the big one this trip. No wonder Matt's smile is so big!

Lori-Ann. [email protected]

Fishing photo of the week:

El Pescador guest Matt and his monster Permit