FISHING REPORT

February 17, 2013 - February 23, 2013

Weather Conditions: Variably cloudy skies with a few light showers as a north front came in basically mixing up the weather. Wednesday was flat out beautiful. Toward the end of the week we had the sun but we also had big wind.

Winds: Big winds, ESE 10 - 20 mph, then went WNW 5 - 10 ending with NNW 5 - 10.

Air Temperature: High 70s - Low 80s during the day, down to 60s during the night. Winds: North at 10 to 15mph, changing to ENE, ending the week with ESE with gusts up to 30 mph.

Water Temperature: Temps in the mid 70s

Moonphase: Full Moon on February 25th

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONEFISH: Big smiles all around from Lindsay and Paul who landed their first bonefish on fly. Fred and his absolutely fish crazed son, Jack, also landed their first bonefish on fly. Alerin had one day to make it happen between his diving expeditions and had a ball. It was great to see return friends Jon and Dale come back to rip it up - I lost count of bonefish landed on fly. Jason likes numbers and that he got! And selfishly, my fabulous niece Sarah, landed her first bonefish on the fly with me out in the lagoon! No camera - of course, that's when it happens right? But we have memories that will last our lifetime.

PERMIT: Permit fishing has been incredible!!!!!!! Andy landed his permit with Captain Kechu that went toward his slam�.Then Aki shows up again with his son Mac - I don't even know how to say this, but Aki landed SIX permit on fly in one hour with Captain Cesar. They said it was "un Belizable!" Jeff came in today and landed a nice permit with Captain Luis - and almost slammed with the tarpon. Way to go! Support permit fever!

TARPON: Andy landed a 60 lb tarpon with Captain Kechu for his Grand Slam! Jack had one on with Captain Alex but the mangroves interfered, and Jeff had three bites with Captain Luis. The big wind blew out Savannah, but the lagoons have been productive.

SNOOK: Snook were not targeted.

OTHER SPECIES: Fred landed ladyfish and barracuda on fly. The Frigate birds stole the cuda fillets as soon as the guides left the dock. I guess the guide who left the fish will never do that again! Thanks to Lindsay for trying to rescue the soon to be cooked cuda fingers!

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Gotcha, Crazy Charlie's in tan or white, just about anything would work - mostly size 8 and 6, some with weedguards.

FOR PERMIT - Our standard never gives up: Orange Christmas Island Special in size 4 or 6, Avalon in size 4, and Gotcha's in size 4 or 6. Some crabs in 6, tan. Mantis shrimp, tan and bead chain eyes - it works.

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse toad, slow easy twitchy retrieve - depends on what the fish is doing. Watch and listen. On Savannah we are using 40 and 50 lb shock. Let the fly settle, then move it. White, tan, pink - bunnies and toads. . Really fun tarpon fishing in skinny water right now! Favorite color - white.

This Week's Summary:

It just seems like I'm giving out as many gifts to our guests that return as "El Pescador Family" as I am bonefish pins! It makes us really happy when we see our friends come back. This week was filled with "family." Thank you all for being so supportive of one another. For me, it was a special week because my niece Sarah was also here. Sarah grew up in my fly shop back in Victor, Idaho - and hasn't fished in years. This week there we were wading the lagoon searching for bonefish. When I said, "Sarah, put it there! - the fly landed and a bonefish was on! She hadn't lost her cast and that smile still makes me tickle inside. The level of confidence with all the anglers grew this week and I know everyone will continue to build on what they learned and continue to cast to their dreams.

Guide of the week: Captain Kechu for getting Andy into his first Grand Slam!!!!!

If you have any questions or would like more information, please email us at [email protected]. Happy fishing! L-A