FISHING REPORT

April 5, 2015 - April 11, 2015

Weather Conditions: Scattered Clouds most of the week offering off and on visibility. Winds were moderate out of the East all week.

Air Temperature: Mid 80s for the highs and upper 70's for the low.

Water Temperature: 80 F.

Barometric Pressure: 29.92 - 30.00

Moonphase: The last quarter moon is on April 11th

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONEFISH (Macabi): Everyone who went out landed bonefish daily. The max number I heard was 25 in a day - we often get comments like "if I had known you had so many bonefish here I would come here first instead of the Bahamas!" or "I thought bonefishing was hard!" It is true that our bonefish are not world-record size, but there are more fish per square mile than anywhere I know. Congratulations to all our guests who got to experience great weather and lot of Caribbean bonefish this week. What is your favorite bonefish fly?

PERMIT (Palometta): Returning guest John V. finally landed a permit after 6 years of effort that included every permit story heard - finicky, refusal after refusal, hookups followed by break-offs� but finally the odds caught up with him. He did it this week. No one deserves it more. Way to go John! Camyrn (the new permit princess) caught 2 permit, and Dick as part of his slam landed a permit as well. Brett caught the permit while his wife Sue seemed to have more luck with tarpon, landing her first silver king. Boat mates Zack and Nick both got permit in the same day! Not to be left out there was Reagan and Curtis who ended up with 2 permit each this week, thanks to their permit Karma.

TARPON (Sabalo): Camryn's tarpon was part of her Grand Slam day, Richard's tarpon was also part of his Grand Slam day and Sue was a tarpon magnet!

OTHER SPECIES: Barracuda, Jacks, Ladyfish, snappers

Grand Slam: 2 Grand slams this week! Dick pulled of his hat trick early in the week and young Camryn got the job done as the youngest female angler at 15 to accomplish the feat. Her day ended up with 2 permit! Our youngest grand slammer ever is William at 13 - he was here just last month!! Husband and wife Brett and Sue landed all 3 species between them� over the week though!

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONEFISH - Bonefish: Christmas Island Special, Gotcha, Micro-crabs, Crazy Charlie (tan, white)

FOR PERMIT - Mantis shrimp, CI Specials size 4 or 6, Merkin crab, Avalon

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse bunny fly, Black death

This Week's Summary:

Permit fishing was on fire this week (I don't often get to say "on fire" and "permit fishing" in the same sentence!) Tarpon seemed a little more difficult than normal, and the fair weather meant lots of bonefish. We are getting ready for the influx of big tarpon over the next few weeks.

Fish On!
Ed Blank [email protected].